• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winging it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winging it

If someone phones you up and offers you an airy fairy handwaving job, although you consider yourself a concrete technical sort of person, would you go for it if the money was good?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

I've been winging it for last 10 years and still not been caught out. Money is better, lunches are longer but you have this hollow 'but I'm not making anything' feeling inside.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      If someone phones you up and offers you an airy fairy handwaving job, although you consider yourself a concrete technical sort of person, would you go for it if the money was good?
      what, like testing?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

would you go for it if the money was good?
        Without question.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          what, like testing?
          Nothing that concrete. I would basically be stating the obvious. Several times. Probably until my patience wore thin.

Even if I were utterly technically incompetent the chances of anyone noticing would be exceedingly slim.

My irritable nature may be a problem.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Nothing that concrete. I would basically be stating the obvious. Several times. Probably until my patience wore thin.

Even if I were utterly technically incompetent the chances of anyone noticing would be exceedingly slim.

My irritable nature may be a problem.
            IIRC your warchest is not overflowing. Why even consider turning it down?

Comment

It would have to be mega money.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
                I've been winging it for last 10 years and still not been caught out. Money is better, lunches are longer but you have this hollow 'but I'm not making anything' feeling inside.
                WHS, but without the hollow part.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  IIRC your warchest is not overflowing. Why even consider turning it down?

I'm not considering turning it down. If I'm offered it I will take it.

It would be a good career move. Although it might result in extreme boredom.

Comment

I'm not considering turning it down. If I'm offered it I will take it.

It would be a good career move. Although it might result in extreme boredom.
                    There are worse things.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X