• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big computers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big computers

Japan Reclaims Top Ranking on Latest TOP500 List of World

SPARC on top. And the fastest US computer is only 3rd.

The fastest UK machine is called Hector. And it's in Scotland. In fact, Australia, India, Austria, Italy and Canada all have machines faster than the fastest English computer, which belongs to the Atomic Weapons Establishment and is in 67th place.

Really not good enough.

They must have some they don't admit to, or which don't run linkpack very well.
    Last edited by doodab; 24 June 2011, 19:35.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Japan Reclaims Top Ranking on Latest TOP500 List of World

SPARC on top. And the fastest US computer is only 3rd.

The fastest UK machine is called Hector. And it's in Scotland. In fact, Australia, India, Austria, Italy and Canada all have machines faster than the fastest English computer, which belongs to the Atomic Weapons Establishment and is in 67th place.

Really not good enough.

They must have some they don't admit to, or which don't run linkpack very well.
    Why does it surprise you? They all calibrate power consumption in Watts.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Why does it surprise you? They all calibrate power consumption in Watts.
      It doesn't "surprise" me, but Edinburgh has two in the top 100 and no English university has comparable facilities, which is a bit disappointing IMO.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

AtW thinks he has the biggest URL database in the world not including the biggest database in the world but he is a dole scrounger.

I am sure Britain have some mighty big processing things we do not know about.

Comment

Just put some more RAM in it, sorted.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            AtW thinks he has the biggest URL database in the world not including the biggest database in the world but he is a dole scrounger.

I am sure Britain have some mighty big processing things we do not know about.
            I do wonder what might be hidden away.

There are quite a few "classified" machines on the list e.g. #191 & 212 thru 214, and in general the US, French & other nations seem happy to publicise the existence of machines used for simulations of nuclear weapon detonations and suchlike, so it's not a given that such things are kept secret, in fact it's almost a modern day arms race.

OTOH there are certainly powerful special purpose machines that either wouldn't make the list or don't bother trying because they don't run that particular benchmark very well, quite possibly whatever GCHQ use for deep packet inspection would fall into that category regardless. Certainly if you look at the cloudshield blades you have to suspect that some of those "classified" IBM bladecenter clusters are less innocent than they might appear.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              It doesn't "surprise" me, but Edinburgh has two in the top 100 and no English university has comparable facilities, which is a bit disappointing IMO.
              Is it a Mac?
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X