• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wrong price on web sales sites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong price on web sales sites

I've just found a camcorder fo £97 insead of the £499 that most sites seem to be selling it at.

At what point can the retailer say you can't have it at the price, or at what point can I demand they sell it to me at that price?

I'll post a link on the morrow if I go for it tonight

MG
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

name the site!

However you might find that the reseller has an out here because if the wrong price was put up by accident then they can charge the full amount.

On the otherhand if you can prove the only reason they put that price there was to drag customers in and then charge them the full price then you get your lolly for the listed price!

Chances of the first one being right: 100%
    Chances of you ever succeeding with the second: -100%

Mailman

Comment

how could I prove the 2nd option?
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Be very very careful.

There have been a number of scams lately where in very small print it says you are only buying the cover or lens cap or manual. This has been mostly on eBay but some other outlets have been doing it.

You never know, it might be a genuine mistake and if it is bot generated then you might get it for the price advertised.
        Click it and see what price it appears in you rshopping basket, then go to checkout.
        I would be inclined to take a screen shot of the advertised price and at every stage of purchase though.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Here is part of the Argos saga.

http://www.dentonwildesapte.com/asse...ue_Feb2001.pdf

What they can do is refuse to fulfil the contract, the website probably has some terms like "this does not constitue a contract to supply until accepted by abc".

What they can't do is simply charge you the "right" price.

Comment

The buggers have patrially remoed it

The link is availble from Google and NOT through navigating their site
            http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=505200

Click on BUY and you get sorry out of stock

Oh well Plan R has failed on to Plan S

MG

Comment

Tescos put an item up last November that was at least a third of its true value.

Three days before Christmas they cancelled all the orders without explanation. They had obviously realised their mistake.

Their terms and conditions state they can do this and only when they have charged your card have they entered into a legal contract to supply.

Ironically their automated system has been sending an "order update" email to me twice a month since saying they have cancelled the order. Rub it in why not!

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
                You can get away with it if you ask if your card was pre-authorised or not (it usually is) at the bank. If it has been preauthorised then then you have entered an agreement with them, even if they have not taken the wonga. I forget the legal case but having run some very large e-commerce sites, I can tell you that this is a really common problem as a lot of users are becoming aware of what they can get away with.

The E-commerce company's terms and conditions are unenforcable unless you are forced to read them and check a box or instructed to read them first. Then again they usually just say "hey we've got a bigger legal team so f off" or just throw you into their call center madness which is unescapable and costly on an 0870 number.
                ToysRUs sold a number of £99.99 portable DVD players for £0.00 plus £4.99 p&p (was supposed to be reduced to £0.00 when bought with an expensive TV, but happened when you added it to the basket on its own).

They ran out of stock, got more in and kept selling them at this price.

I received mine, they had pre-authorised the £4.99 payment.

When they realised the problem, some bright spark cancelled the £4.99 charge and tried to ask us to send them back.

I sent them a link to the trading standards website.

Nice of them to cancel the p&p charge as well though.

Comment

Working...
                X