• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harperson proposes sexual discrimination in the workplace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harperson proposes sexual discrimination in the workplace

She wants Labour to have a rule to this effect. Spotted it in the Times but can't link to it, so here's the Doom's version (with its more colourful comments):

Daily Doom: Mad Harriet - Labour should ALWAYS have a woman as leader or deputy

Yes, the woman is bonkers, but the fact remains that, despite all the advances of the 20th Century, women are still far less likely to occupy senior positions (in any business) than men.

Why is this?

Is this because women can't do the job? Well, I don't believe so, and I don't think most people believe so (although no doubt there's a few on this board that disagree.)

Or should we dig out examples of women who have done it and say "if they can, then there is no problem". Again, no, they are the exception.

So we have to look at the way things have evolved over the last 150 years, from a patriarchal society defining rules and roles in a way that more easily allowed men to succeed than women. The long working hours, putting work before family culture is not female friendly. Whilst many inequalities have been levelled out, for women to succeed they have to conform to the male-centric systems that evolved when men were in charge. Just look at parliament - the jeering and heckling - not what most of us would consider ladylike behaviour. Same with the cut and thrust of the board room - women are admired professionally when they have 'balls' (and if they have a good pair of breasts, all the better).

Until women are properly valued for the contribution they make as women, and the environment is more encouraging in allowing women to succeed whilst still having time out to raise families, we're unlikely to see true equality.

Comment

A priviledged hypocrite with an overwhelming sense of self-importance and entitlement who pushes her agenda, which grinds against every avenue of common sense.

Unless it is, of course, when it means a drop in her family income, in which case she u-turns faster than one of Cameron's public sector cost-cutting promises.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I'm actually inclined to agree with her. Women have a different and often useful perspective on things and a mixed group tends to be less argumentative and get more done.

And ultimately it's the Labour party she's proposing to change, which isn't any of my business.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I'm actually inclined to agree with her. Women have a different and often useful perspective on things and a mixed group tends to be less argumentative and get more done.

And ultimately it's the Labour party she's proposing to change, which isn't any of my business.
          WHS

I doubt the Times, most of it's readers and most of the people on this board are Labour Party members or in a union that funds the Labour Party, so unless they are or Labour breaks the laws it's none of our business.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            Same with the cut and thrust of the board room - women are admired professionally when they have 'balls' (and if they have a good pair of breasts, all the better).
            mmmmm. breasts
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              mmmmm. breasts

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                ow ow
                i'm being repressed

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What exactly is an 'arch-feminist'?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    What exactly is an 'arch-feminist'?
                    Germaine Greer
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X