• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lessons from a bird table

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lessons from a bird table

I was getting really annoyed about a huge influx of Jackdaws who were scoffing all the bird food, especially the expensive peanuts, and put some mesh around. Now there are far more Bluetits, no longer frightened off by the large birds, and the food is disappearing three times as fast.

Makes you wonder how many "simple" solutions to society would make things worse for reasons we haven't thought of.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I was getting really annoyed about a huge influx of Jackdaws who were scoffing all the bird food, especially the expensive peanuts, and put some mesh around. Now there are far more Bluetits, no longer frightened off by the large birds, and the food is disappearing three times as fast.

Makes you wonder how many "simple" solutions to society would make things worse for reasons we haven't thought of.
    I love jackdaws, big majestic fellows. much better than those squawky little blue tits.
    remove that mesh immediately

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I love jackdaws, big majestic fellows. much better than those squawky little blue tits.
      remove that mesh immediately

I prefer tits, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I prefer tits, but that's just me.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

We have Bluetits who every year nest in a wall box I have put up & visible from the lounge so we can watch the comings & goings in May/June

This year we noticed the parents visits had become less frequent which usually means the birds had fledged and gone, inspecting the lawn outside the lounge I noticed movement on the grass and there was a tiny fledgling who must have tried a tad too soon and was now stuck outside the box and unable to fly

Googled what to do, so I scooped the critter up on a piece of cardboard taking care not to touch and funneled it back into the box - I was releived to see a parent to return a couple of times and thought no more of it.

The next morning I saw no activity so decided to open up the roof of the box to check all was well.... and the little fecker wad dead

In hindsight perhaps the best course of action would be to get the lawn mower out and despatch it there and then on the lawn..
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Sparrows in the front of our house, tits round the back.

Sounds like a Gerry Rafferty lyric.

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp, Chirp, Chirp.

SHUT THE

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp.

FECK

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp.

UP

Chirp, Chirp.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

SHUT THE

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp.

FECK

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp.

UP

Chirp, Chirp.
              I've got some obviously nesting nearby. They start at about 5:30 and don't stop until dusk.

It's not so much chirping as an angry chatter.

Which gets on your nerves after a while.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Googled what to do, so I scooped the critter up on a piece of cardboard taking care not to touch and funneled it back into the box - I was releived to see a parent to return a couple of times and thought no more of it.

The next morning I saw no activity so decided to open up the roof of the box to check all was well.... and the little fecker wad dead

In hindsight perhaps the best course of action would be to get the lawn mower out and despatch it there and then on the lawn..
                The parents had probably realised it was going to croak and ejected it from the nest in the first place. Nature can be cruel sometimes.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  The parents had probably realised it was going to croak and ejected it from the nest in the first place. Nature can be cruel sometimes.
                  Makes you wonder really, parents chucked it out the nest thinking 'it's weak it will never fly'

then they fly back into the nest the next day and 'JEEZ H!! eh we were wrong about this one love'

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

SHUT THE

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp.

FECK

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp.

UP

Chirp, Chirp.
                    Sparrows are the Chavs of the bird world.

Hang around in gangs, always gobbing off, will fight and argue with eachother if they can't find another gang of sparrows to fight with.

We have two mobs who live in the hedges on opposite sides of the garden. The bird feeders in the middle are in a permanent state of dispute between them.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X