• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Council neighbours have broken the fence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council neighbours have broken the fence

The lodging next door neighbours (who are benefits/council trash) have somehow managed to destroy the back garden fence at the old girls house. The side they have damaged is their responsibility to maintain/repair. We have spoken to the council who have stated they have no jurisdication in ordering anyone to repair the fence.

Is there anyone we can pursue this with to force them to get it fixed? We've even spoken to the owner of the property who hardly seems bothered. Now we are at a point of paying for the panels to be replaced ourselves.

Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
    The lodging next door neighbours (who are benefits/council trash) have somehow managed to destroy the back garden fence at the old girls house. The side they have damaged is their responsibility to maintain/repair. We have spoken to the council who have stated they have no jurisdication in ordering anyone to repair the fence.

Is there anyone we can pursue this with to force them to get it fixed? We've even spoken to the owner of the property who hardly seems bothered. Now we are at a point of paying for the panels to be replaced ourselves.

aye , who bothers to wash a hire car ?
    scumbags

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Real contractors just aren't supposed to live in places like that.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Its up to the owner of the property to fix the fence. If you want it done write to him and give him 14 days to sort it otherwise you will do it and send him the bill via the small claims court.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Its up to the owner of the property to fix the fence. If you want it done write to him and give him 14 days to sort it otherwise you will do it and send him the bill via the small claims court.
          WHS, and get a solicitor to send the letter by recorded delivery.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Had a similar scenario with one of my BTL's although the neighbour weren't council types, the landlord is a tight/ ham fisted b!tch.

Ended up forking out for a new fence myself which cost a grand all in.

Although I was set on making her erect the fence a quick look at the information on Boundary Problems & Garden Law websites made me think it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Comment

Or

Neighbours From Hell in Britain
              How to Deal With Noisy or Inconsiderate Neighbours at Problem Neighbours (UK)

Or PM Wilmslow
              Last edited by xoggoth; 27 June 2011, 14:05.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I'd be going around to have a word.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The lodging next door neighbours are benefits/council trash
                  You seem to imply that being on benefits automatically makes you trash?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Isnt it the case that the right side of the fence ( assuming a terraced house ) is your responsibility?

If it is the other side then then owner of the house and not the tenant is responsible to replace it. I am guessing the owner would not bother since the tenant would inflict the same damage again and the cycle would continue.

Best course of action is to round up a few pikeys and pop round to their house and make it clear that you do not tolerate such nonsense.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X