• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Donations / Gifts..... Legit Expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donations / Gifts..... Legit Expense?

Hi All,

I recently started a new contractore which a friend got for me.

As a thank you gesture I would like to donate some money to the companies cricket club (of which said friend is treasurer).

Is there any way this can be considered a legitimate expense for my Ltd Company?

Thanks.

It coudl be considered to be advertising, but it is not tax deductable.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Simple but effective check. Doesn't cover everything but a good first check.....

Is it wholly and exclusively for business purposes?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

that is why i posted the question.

The simple check is an obvious no.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
          that is why i posted the question.

The simple check is an obvious no.
          It's not 100% just like everything else to do with HMRC. Xmas do could be argued not for business purposes but is allowed up to £150 per employee head.. but thats a different discussion.

Still not a bad rule as a yard stick. (Does Brussels let me call it a yard stick nowadays????)
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Here is the HMRC guidance - Linky
            SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

NortherLad - yes true.

Netraider -thanks for the link. The problem is the club is not a charity.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
                The problem is the club is not a charity.
                I don't know the details of your specific case but could your LTD become a sponsor of the cricket club? Good advertising for your business, opportunity to do some networking, drum up more business?

Specific deductions: advertising expenses: sponsorship
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                X