• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One for the Irish Contingent!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for the Irish Contingent!!

Mrs SB will be celebrating her 50th birthday in January. I had initially planned on pushing the boat out () and treating her to a stay at a fairly local hostelry with a spiffing collection of Malt Whiskies.
    Surprisingly, she poo-pooed this suggestion and offered the Orient Express to Venice as an alternative.
    After much discussion, we have settled on a compromise. Dublin!!!

Now I am fairly familiar with Dublin as I spent many holidays there as a child, and also worked there on a 6-month contract in 1998.
    I have decided that Kilmainham Jail is a must-see, as is the Guinness Store. But both of those are fairly near each other and can be done in an afternoon I reckon.
    I also fancy doing the Literary Pub Crawl as it sounds like a blast, however outside of those I am open to suggestions from those who may be more au fait with the City.
    We will be arriving on Friday lunchtime and leaving Monday morning, so probably have 2-2.5 days to fit in.

Suggestions welcome!!
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Mrs SB will be celebrating her 50th birthday in January. I had initially planned on pushing the boat out () and treating her to a stay at a fairly local hostelry with a spiffing collection of Malt Whiskies.
    Surprisingly, she poo-pooed this suggestion and offered the Orient Express to Venice as an alternative.

Now I am fairly familiar with Dublin as I spent many holidays there as a child, and also worked there on a 6-month contract in 1998.
    I have decided that Kilmainham Jail is a must-see, as is the Guinness Store. But both of those are fairly near each other and can be done in an afternoon I reckon.
    I also fancy doing the Literary Pub Crawl as it sounds like a blast, however outside of those I am open to suggestions from those who may be more au fait with the City.
    We will be arriving on Friday lunchtime and leaving Monday morning, so probably have 2-2.5 days to fit in.

Suggestions welcome!!
    we did those, brilliant. plus the bus tour was excellent

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Suggestions welcome!!
      Go to Galway instead, much nicer.

Comment

Food, booze and trad Irish music (I play there when in Dublin).
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Have to agree with that one.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            Food, booze and trad Irish music (I play there when in Dublin).
            Cheers CH. That is now on the itinerary.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

well after a little 6monther there last year i can recommend Dublin Zoo, suprisingly good so said the missus

Personally i'd give the guiness store a complete miss, nowt bar tons of boring history and a crappy pint at the top of the tower, the Jameson factory tour is far better imho.

Trinity College is good for a few hours, get bored and your straight into shopping as its next to Grafton st

Failing that any of these
              Things to Do in Dublin - Dublin Attractions - TripAdvisor

Where you thinking on stopping????

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
                Personally i'd give the guiness store a complete miss, nowt bar tons of boring history and a crappy pint at the top of the tower, the Jameson factory tour is far better imho.
                Fair one. I'll run that past her. I have done the Guinness tour a few times but have never done the Jameson's one.

Trinity College is good for a few hours, get bored and your straight into shopping as its next to Grafton st

I enjoyed Trinity College and the Book of Kells etc., but as we are a bit short of time may give it a miss this trip. Have to keep her away from Grafton Street too I reckon.

Where you thinking on stopping????
                I used to work for Digifone in Lower Baggott Street and lived quite nearby there. Thought I'd opt for somewhere near there which is within walking distance of Stephens Green.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  would definitely agree with OG on this, There ain't much to see in Dublin and this time if year is tourist and stag do hell. If you do the west coast you have access to some great countryside, fantastic sea food and some good spa hotels that missus sb would enjoy.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

The Curragh? Only If there's racing on of course.

Get bolloxed, gamble and pray, the full Irish experience.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X