• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench time

It's happened already. When I am on the bench I cannot keep time. My entire body clock goes haywire. Last night I couldn't sleep due to the heat, then when I eventually nodded (last recall staring at 1:30 on the bedroom clock) I woke at 4:30am due to a bad dream.

I got invited out for beers at 9pm with my mate down the road and ended up back at his chatting nonsense until 3am. Now back home. SY02 is poorly sick with a tummy bug and not sleeping, and refusing all help (including tea so must be bad)

She wants me to go to bed to get some sleep, but if I go to bed now, especially after a previous crappy night's sleep then you won't rouse me at 6am, no chance.

So knowing my limits I have to stay up. Jobs to do, kids lunches to be made, tidying (quietly) and posting cobblers on here.

By 11am I predict a power snooze. Am I boring anyone else? I'm boring myself just typing this. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I read somewhere that humans have a natural rhythm of 25 hours, and without the constraint of a regular bed time necessary for work the next day tend to creep forward an hour a day in their sleep times.

In medievil times, most people went to bed around 6pm then got up at 10pm, had a meal and pottered around or went to the pub, and then slept from 2am until 6am the next morning. (and they slept sitting up in bed, propped up with blankets and pillows - it was considered unhealthy to sleep horizontal).
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This can't be a good way to start bench time.

Surely there's an element of stress affecting you because you've just stopped earning with mouths to feed.

I would try to get some structure back asap otherwise you and SY02 will be running on different timezones.

I'd also knock the booze on the head if you're not sleeping too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

I'd also knock the booze on the head if you're not sleeping too.
        WHS. Also sounds like the perfect time to get properly cycling fit. Exercise is great for sleeping.

Comment

Working...
        X