• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is contracting in the UK becoming to much of a PITA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is contracting in the UK becoming to much of a PITA?

I'm just thinking that compared to Germany it really seems like bureaucracy in the UK is out of control, the government seems determined to legislate us out of existence and there is a feeding frenzy of sharks trying to make a quick buck out of other people's hard work. The business community might say they want a large pool of flexible skilled labour but really it seems they want cheap bums on seats.

The only reason I can see to bother with it is that the alternatives are all far worse.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Indeed. I have written to my MP more than once about all the overcomplex accounting and tax rules which are quite unecessary for a very small private company. For example, WTF is the point of differentiating capital from other expenditure if equipment is worth less than 5k? Or at all for a one man contractor company that nobody else is going to buy.

Got back all the stuff about the govt being commited to cutting red tape, improving clarity etc. Naturally F All has been done. The country is run by lawyers and accountants, anything that reduces business for either has no chance of becoming law. The govt also has a vested interest in complexity as most people do not grasp what a huge amount they are paying in addition to the figure on their payslip.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

The only reason I can see to bother with it is that the alternatives are all far worse.
      Yeah, like having to live in some austere, bland German town to flog what remains of any niche skills you once had.

Comment

To me no, you can set up a company with a phone call and be contracting in days, accountants are cheap in this industry and I have never had any tax problems. I earn loads more than permies and only work half the year to get substantially more than any of my friends earn. No complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Yeah, like having to live in some austere, bland German town to flog what remains of any niche skills you once had.
          If that were one of the alternatives I would take it. Except I would live in one of the many vibrant world class cities that consistently score highly in surveys of most liveable cities / most desirable places to live.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            If that were one of the alternatives I would take it. Except I would live in one of the many vibrant world class cities that consistently score highly in surveys of most liveable cities / most desirable places to live.
            If you have to leave the country to find work you tend not to get to pick the city you live in. I'm in agreement with Minestrone, I don't find it a hassle at all and easier in fact than most other countries.

Go ahead and neg me again you fooking old woman.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              If you have to leave the country to find work you tend not to get to pick the city you live in. I'm in agreement with Minestrone, I don't find it a hassle at all and easier in fact than most other countries.

Go ahead and neg me again you fooking old woman.
              Will do.

Comment

My UK Ltd company requires a mammoth amount of red tape to operate.

Operating as a freelancer in Germany requires me just to keep a profit / loss excel sheet, nothing else!

It seems madding to me a freelancer/contractor need a Ltd company to operate in the UK.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Indeed. I have written to my MP more than once about all the overcomplex accounting and tax rules which are quite unecessary for a very small private company. For example, WTF is the point of differentiating capital from other expenditure if equipment is worth less than 5k? Or at all for a one man contractor company that nobody else is going to buy.
                  Indeed. You can't really sell a company that is based purely on your own skills.

Time and again when discussing tax with other business owners I was told that with my level of turnover I should be self employed rather than having a Ltd Co. I started out as self-employed and it was an awful lot easier to organise, and cheaper too, especially at the beginning when cash flow was tight.

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Got back all the stuff about the govt being commited to cutting red tape, improving clarity etc. Naturally F All has been done. The country is run by lawyers and accountants, anything that reduces business for either has no chance of becoming law. The govt also has a vested interest in complexity as most people do not grasp what a huge amount they are paying in addition to the figure on their payslip.
                  More than once I had to correct mistakes made by lawyers and accountants.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    My UK Ltd company requires a mammoth amount of red tape to operate.

Operating as a freelancer in Germany requires me just to keep a profit / loss excel sheet, nothing else!

It seems madding to me a freelancer/contractor need a Ltd company to operate in the UK.
                    Yep. And this 24 months in one place thing... Various bits of Europe I've been in allow even permies to claim travel and lunch costs against tax.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X