• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh FFS! Someone's going to get canned for this.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh FFS! Someone's going to get canned for this.

And I hope it's not me.

The beauty about data warehouses are that they tend to store historical data. Especially when historical data is going to enrich the reporting to provide real value add.

So I designed a fantastic model, with slowly changing dimensions. Designed, implemented, tested in UAT(by me), passed & deployed into production, where the output was signed off(by me again). Part of that was history preservation and one client has paid a lot of money for the data to be recorded for the last 3 months. All signed off and working. The client has been using the standard report offering for the last 3 months. Now they've asked to analyse the historical changes. Excellent.

Well no. Somebody in the ETL/DBA team turned the fooking history off a few days after Go-Live!! What a mystery!!!!!

No historical data! All contractors(DBA, ETL, Report Developers, Support Staff!). Somebodies head is going to roll. It's got my dabs all over it as signing it off and PM, but luckily I don't have access to the ETL tools.

Who should I take into the boardroom?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

This is going to end in a punch-up and you on the bench I reckon.

Comment

So you designed, tested and signed off your own work with no external verification?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I think it's safe to assume that as PM you're going to take a beating regardless of whose fault it was.

Why is turning this off an option? Was it causing problems in production?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Setting yourself up for a fall.

Classic.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            So you designed, tested and signed off your own work with no external verification?
            I designed it. (ie. Modelled it, defined the schemas, SCD's, source, destination and tranformations)

DBA's built the schemas
            ETL guys built that part
            Framework developer built that part
            Report developer built those.

I then got that back, tested the framework, reports and database schema.

Went into dev. I modified history in the source, tracked the changes in Dev.
            Signed it off, and had it put into production.

Tested in production. Tracked changes for the first few days. Signed it off. Handed to support and training team.

Some twat then turned off the updates a week later.

I'm going to bring in a support person for not noticing and either a DBA or ETL guy.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I think it's safe to assume that as PM you're going to take a beating regardless of whose fault it was.

Why is turning this off an option? Was it causing problems in production?
              Well that's the question. Why did someone turn off the slowly changing dimensions and not tell anyone???

Comment

Don't worry, that's what backup regimes are for. You do have backups going back 3 months?

Seeing as storage has been cheap for many years I'm suprised anyone decided to turn off historical data preservation. Usually they let the databases grow until it fills a disk and falls over.

You sure you turned it on in the first place? A bit of a hole if you didn't and also didn't get any 3rd party verification during the signing off processes.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Well that's the question. Why did someone turn off the slowly changing dimensions and not tell anyone???

Isn't it audited so you know who did what and when?

That is standard arse covering operating procedure.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    Isn't it audited so you know who did what and when?

That is standard arse covering operating procedure.
                    It would be if I designed it.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X