• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pensions etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pensions etc

Having recently moved from perm back to contracting - this is something I need to sort out.

To be honest, I've got about 4/5 separate pensions from various employers which needs to be looked at, as well as sorting something for my contracting time.

Been on contractormoney and been contacted by an FSA on there. Surprised to find that the fee is £750.

Is this normal? I'm guessing that normally when setting up a pension you wouldnt see a fee because instead the advisor takes shedloads in commision etc instead so at least the fellas being up front about it.

However, anyone got any recommendations for pensions?

Get an advisor and pay them like this? (If so, recommendations for someone who knows the contractor scene)

Or sort your own pension out yourself?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Just contact an FA, doesn't have to be from a contractor point of view. When I did mine the guy got commission from the company I went with so didn't have to pay. Saying that he is a friend of mine so he could have waived a charge so not sure.

Ring around for someone local so you can meet face to face and explain the options available. It could be worth combining all your smaller ones together or getting out of under performing products. He will also give you options around low/med/high risk options and advise a strategy depending on your position. If you think you will becomfortable anyway you could opt for half in to low/med and half in to a high risk to see if you can make a lucky bob or two.

When you are talking pensions though you most definitely need professional advice. I would not even have considered trying to do this for myself.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have done a DIY job. If you are prepared to do the research I don't believe that many of us need an IFA as our affiars are pretty simple. I moved a couple of smaller company pensions into a HL SIPP and I top that up each month and with ad hoc lump sums from the Ltd Co. HL are very efficient, though there are many other options to look at also like Best Invest, SIPP Deal, Alliance Trust Savings etc to name just a few.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Just contact an FA, doesn't have to be from a contractor point of view. When I did mine the guy got commission from the company I went with so didn't have to pay. Saying that he is a friend of mine so he could have waived a charge so not sure.

Ring around for someone local so you can meet face to face and explain the options available. It could be worth combining all your smaller ones together or getting out of under performing products. He will also give you options around low/med/high risk options and advise a strategy depending on your position. If you think you will becomfortable anyway you could opt for half in to low/med and half in to a high risk to see if you can make a lucky bob or two.

When you are talking pensions though you most definitely need professional advice. I would not even have considered trying to do this for myself.
        Yeh. Might be the best option since my knowledge is limited.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          When I did mine the guy got commission from the company I went with so didn't have to pay. Saying that he is a friend of mine so he could have waived a charge so not sure.
          Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Yeh. Might be the best option since my knowledge is limited.
          Psycho, I would ask the IFA how he is getting paid for this work. Some will charge you a flat fee for this, whilst others get comissions from the end company. I dislike the latter approach as it goes against the Independent bit IMHO. You will also find that many insurance companies etc spend a lot of money in providing 'training courses' for IFAs on their products.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Psycho, I would ask the IFA how he is getting paid for this work. Some will charge you a flat fee for this, whilst others get comissions from the end company. I dislike the latter approach as it goes against the Independent bit IMHO. You will also find that many insurance companies etc spend a lot of money in providing 'training courses' for IFAs on their products.
            Flat fee if I want the full search apparently. £750....

Comment

Working...
            X