• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I used to love SAP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to love SAP

Because it's so tulip it delivers bucketloads of money for testers and other assorted contractors.

Now I ******* hate it because i have to use it to fill in my hours and make my timesheet and the bloody thing doesn't work, you have to fill in your hours, some secretary who's invariably off sick has to then accept them, before sending them to a random PM to accept and only then I can print the bloody sheet and get it signed by my own PM. And all the while SAP fails to recognize the dates I've filled in using the little calendar provided in the app, bla bla bla what a load of overpriced overrated overblown bollox.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Because it's so tulip it delivers bucketloads of money for testers and other assorted contractors.

Now I ******* hate it because i have to use it to fill in my hours and make my timesheet and the bloody thing doesn't work, you have to fill in your hours, some secretary who's invariably off sick has to then accept them, before sending them to a random PM to accept and only then I can print the bloody sheet and get it signed by my own PM. And all the while SAP fails to recognize the dates I've filled in using the little calendar provided in the app, bla bla bla what a load of overpriced overrated overblown bollox.
    Blame the testers who said it was fit for purpose
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

My first entry in SAP timesheets is a minimum of 1 hour a week for doing timesheets.

The rest gets filled in with whatever it takes to get the total hours right.

It's so mind-numbingly awkward that nobody cares if hours get added to the wrong project as long as the total hours work out.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Blame the testers who said it was fit for purpose
        Yep. ******* useless. One reason is that every time there's a SAP testing role advertised they ask for SAP testing experience; that's supposedly because if you don't have SAP testing experience it's very difficult to work out what's standard functionality and what's tailored. It's actually because without SAP testing experience you're likely to approach it with an open mind and find so many bugs the PM will never get his bonus. So they actually sift out the good testers in the selection process and put their CVs in the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          My first entry in SAP timesheets is a minimum of 1 hour a week for doing timesheets.

The rest gets filled in with whatever it takes to get the total hours right.

It's so mind-numbingly awkward that nobody cares if hours get added to the wrong project as long as the total hours work out.
          Indeed, and the PMs find it so bloody awkward that when asked to approve the hours of everyone in their project they just click OK--> OK--> OK until they've got it out of the way, thereby ensuring that the whole thing completely misses the point of filling in hours and getting them approved.

Comment

Another SAP related tale; a contact of mine used to work for a very large chemicals company trading chemicals with other firms all over the world. When they made a trade they had to fill in the port or railway station of delivery in SAP, plus an ISO14000 code for the customer. Now this chemicals trading game seems to move pretty fast; they don't fanny around like us software people, they make a trade and then get on the phone to the next customer or supplier knowing that every trade adds to their bonus. Seeing as not every port or railway station in the world was in SAP, they first tried asking the SAP support centre to add the ports; according to SLA that would take 3 days and seeing as most customers didn't have ISO14000 codes, they just used a standard port/station and an ISO 14000 code of some crowd in Dhaka who'd gone bust. So you can imagine when the ISO auditors came along they found that 70% of the company's turnover was with a bankrupt company in Bangladesh and running through a disused railway station in Nigeria. I suppose that's what they call compliance.

Comment

Another SAP related tale; a contact of mine used to work for a very large chemicals company trading chemicals with other firms all over the world. When they made a trade they had to fill in the port or railway station of delivery in SAP, plus an ISO14000 code for the customer. Now this chemicals trading game seems to move pretty fast; they don't fanny around like us software people, they make a trade and then get on the phone to the next customer or supplier knowing that every trade adds to their bonus. Seeing as not every port or railway station in the world was in SAP, they first tried asking the SAP support centre to add the ports; according to SLA that would take 3 days and seeing as most customers didn't have ISO14000 codes, they just used a standard port/station and an ISO 14000 code of some crowd in Dhaka who'd gone bust. So you can imagine when the ISO auditors came along they found that 70% of the company's turnover was with a bankrupt company in Bangladesh and running through a disused railway station in Nigeria. I suppose that's what they call compliance.

How is the business not maintaing data a SAP functionality issue. Not too mention, if they filled in some bollux port in the delivery, how did the customer ever get their product?

Comment

Som SAP stuff
                Have you asked Milanbenes if he can provide you any SAP training?

Comment

The first and only time I've ever had to use an online timesheet application was a SAP thingy. I was happily filling in a scruffy bit of paper, getting someone to sign it and send it off until the orders came down the line that everything was now online. My response was, sorry no can do...At that time SAP would only work with IE and that was not allowed where I was working, they only had Netscape. I got a special dispensation to continue with paper and they would get someone in the office to input it for me.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    How is the business not maintaing data a SAP functionality issue. Not too mention, if they filled in some bollux port in the delivery, how did the customer ever get their product?
                    They phoned the shipping company and told them what port to deliver it. Rocket science!

They're only registering all this crap for the ISO and SOX audits, they do the real work on the phone.

Comment

Working...
                    X