• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the British roundabout conquering the US?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the British roundabout conquering the US?

BBC News - Is the British roundabout conquering the US?

A roundabout revolution is slowly sweeping the US. The land of the car, where the stop sign and traffic light have ruled for decades, has started to embrace the free-flowing British circular.

"We are saving thousands of gallons of fuel per roundabout per year” - Mayor of Carmel, Jim Brainard
    Ahh but they haven't got British roundabout v2.0... traffic lights on roundabouts.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Ahh but they haven't got British roundabout v2.0... traffic lights on roundabouts.
    That was actually V1.0 a.k.a a rotary system.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Or roundabouts on roundabouts. Maybe they aren't quite ready for that one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        That was actually V1.0 a.k.a a rotary system.
        I always thought roundabouts on roundabouts was v2.0 .

i always remember my parents reaction when arriving in Hemel Hempstead for the first time in 1975 and encountering the "magic roundabout"

Google Maps

V3 is when they started allowing the main through traffic to drive directly across the roundabout. There is one by Bradford Station that has two main roads and both can drive straight across.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

i always remember my parents reaction when arriving in Hemel Hempstead for the first time in 1975 and encountering the "magic roundabout"

Google Maps

V3 is when they started allowing the main through traffic to drive directly across the roundabout. There is one by Bradford Station that has two main roads and both can drive straight across.
          I used to tackle that monstrosity occasionally on my bike when I was a teenager.

When I drove through Paris a few years back I encountered one that still gave priority to people coming on to the thing. That was quite bizarre. Apparently that is how they all used to work, the sensible rules we have today are a British invention.

Roundabout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Google Maps

Thats childs play compared to this one: swindon magic roundabout - Google Maps
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

That's Swindon off the list of places I'm willing to work at...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Had to drive through that twice in rush hour when I took my driving test aged 17.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Had to drive through that twice in rush hour when I took my driving test aged 17.
                  Did you pass?

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Did you pass?
                    First time.

Comment

Working...
                    X