• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What the hell are you talking about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the hell are you talking about?

A pet hate of mine are people who answer questions in the most stupid manner ever but thinking they're the cleverest people in the world.

I remember when I first started out I had to ask the IT Director a question which had a simple Yes or No answer. He answered the question by saying something along the lines of 'Red is X on the ergonometric scale' (which is how I remember it, but googling it is nonsense). To which my reply was? I don't understand, and then he just repeated the answer indicating that I had to know the answer to that to get my Yes or No. What an arse.

It's just happened again.

"It appears to me that we have a set of vectors pointing in different directions......... and with various magnitutdes."

Anyone have any examples of nonsensical sayings?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    A pet hate of mine are people who answer questions in the most stupid manner ever but thinking they're the cleverest people in the world.

I remember when I first started out I had to ask the IT Director a question which had a simple Yes or No answer. He answered the question by saying something along the lines of 'Red is X on the ergonometric scale' (which is how I remember it, but googling it is nonsense). To which my reply was? I don't understand, and then he just repeated the answer indicating that I had to know the answer to that to get my Yes or No. What an arse.

It's just happened again.

"It appears to me that we have a set of vectors pointing in different directions......... and with various magnitutdes."

I did lose my temper with a guy once when all I needed was a Yes or a No....

"A simple Yes or No will do" I said in a raised slightly manic voice - felt really bad afterwards, he was a nice fella just a bit nervous and doddery.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

When someone is deliberately obtuse like you describe, I usually just restate the question again when a really confused look on my face prefaced with something like "Sorry, what I asked was......"

Probably makes me look like an arse at times, but it usually has the desired effect.

Comment

Red is X on the ergonometric scale? The bloke was talking nonsense, it's blue.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Ask him whether he still beats his wife.

Comment

I used to work as an IT Director. We had this right thicko that I took on as a favour to his dad. I remember in a meeting, he had nothing to contribute so eventually just blurted out, 'Is red X on the ergonometric scale?' So to shut him up, I said, 'Red is X on the ergonometric scale'. Then he started shouting, 'Yes or no, yes or no?' I tried to ignore him but he soiled himself and started crying. I sometimes wonder what happened to him.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Ask him whether he still beats his wife.
              MarillionFan, do you still beat your wife?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                I used to work as an IT Director. We had this right thicko that I took on as a favour to his dad. I remember in a meeting, he had nothing to contribute so eventually just blurted out, 'Is red X on the ergonometric scale?' So to shut him up, I said, 'Red is X on the ergonometric scale'. Then he started shouting, 'Yes or no, yes or no?' I tried to ignore him but he soiled himself and started crying. I sometimes wonder what happened to him.
                Are you a short, 60 year old gay Chinese man then?
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

..."It appears to me that we have a set of vectors pointing in different directions......... and with various magnitutdes."

What's not to understand - it makes perfect sense. E.g.

(1) ( 2) (-5) ( 32 )
                  (0) (-4) (6 ) (12333)

are vectors with differing directions and magnitudes.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Are you a short, 60 year old gay Chinese man then?
                    I guess I can be if you want me to be. £100 in the usual account.

Comment

Working...
                    X