• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I love My Mac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I love My Mac

So I screwed up my accounts spreadsheet. Irretrievably screwed up. Throw it away and start again screwed up.

I had a backup, but that was taken when the files were still on my old iMac ( did I mention I just got a shiny new 15" MacBook Pro )

So I needed to retrieve a specific file from a backup of another box that was in use by someone else at the time (Mrs B now has the iMac)

Rather than having to turf her off and muck about with time machine to recover the file all I needed to do was:

Hop onto the Timecapsule via the network.
    Locate the backup bundle for the iMac
    Mount it as a disk image (right click -> open with)
    Browse through the date and time stamped backup folders to the one I wanted.
    Browse to the right folder, find the file and drag and drop it onto the desktop.

Sorted. Total elapsed time <5 mins.

I Love Macs
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Rock and Roll.

Was thinking of replacing my 2008 MBP but now think I should waiting until February when the next release is due...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Oooh backing up data. These Apple people truly are innovators of the highest order. Us poor Windows users can only dream of what we're missing.

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Oooh backing up data. These Apple people truly are innovators of the highest order. Us poor Windows users can only dream of what we're missing.

It's the little things.

Every time I've lost a backup in windaz I'm taken back to yesterday's copy or 2 hours earlier. It never does what it says on the tin.

In OS X I'm taken back to the last key stroke.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboi... I accept that all OSes have their faults...

But if you honestly think Windoze is a better user experience, you need your head read.

That is all.

Comment

And 10.7 Lion is GM now, available in the usual places......

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              It's the little things.

Every time I've lost a backup in windaz I'm taken back to yesterday's copy or 2 hours earlier. It never does what it says on the tin.

In OS X I'm taken back to the last key stroke.
              This is the thing that annoys me most about you iCultists. Just because you have some (obviously quite good) software on a Mac, you think that the reason you can do what you can do is because you bought a Mac. But it's just software. The same software could do the same thing when ported to Windows, it's nothing to do with Macs vs Windows.

This is how I restore a file in "Windaz":

Hop onto the NAS via the network.
              Locate the backup bundle for the desktop PC.
              Browse through the date and time stamped backup folders to the one I wanted.
              Double click to open it in explorer
              Browse to the right folder, find the file and drag and drop it onto the desktop.

Sorted. Total elapsed time <4 mins.

No you're right. Macs are better.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Locate the backup bundle for the desktop PC.
                That backup bundle was created by the OS was it?
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboi... I accept that all OSes have their faults...

But if you honestly think Windoze is a better user experience, you need your head read.

That is all.
                  Wrong.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This is the thing that annoys me most about you iCultists. Just because you have some (obviously quite good) software on a Mac, you think that the reason you can do what you can do is because you bought a Mac. But it's just software. The same software could do the same thing when ported to Windows, it's nothing to do with Macs vs Windows.
                    It's like saying Buddhism could work with Paganism with the proper robes; no it couldn't. It's like still windaz inside and somehow you know the blue screen of death still lurks waiting for the opportune moment.

Comment

Working...
                    X