• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Steak Brian

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak Brian

Tonight SY02 and I shall gorge on a dish of steak diane, made to my mate Brian's specific recipe. The dish is called Steak Brian in his honour.

Currently the steaks are in the fridge, having had crushed garlic, salt, pepper and dijon mustard lovingly rubbed into them.

Later, after a few glasses of red, they shall be lightly fried in butter, and then put to one side. In the remaining juices in the pan I sweat some shallots, closed cup mushrooms. After this I add some red wine, worcestershire sauce, oxo cube and some single cream. Whack the steaks back in an simmer for 20 minutes.

Served with ratatouille and chips. Yum yum.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I find any sauce is wrong on a steak, apart from hot pepper sauce if you BBQ.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Just salt would do me. Less done to a steak the better, but what you're doing doesn't sound too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I find any sauce is wrong on a steak, apart from hot pepper sauce if you BBQ.
        Does this fear of special sauces stem from an episode in a restaurant?

"Chef's special sauce, sir, with our compliments"

Comment

I've got a 99p Lidl pizza cooking currently

Comment

I have a bison steak that I just picked up from the supermarket, marinaded in some sort of spicy pepper stuff. With spuds and sweetcorn and a couple of beers.

Lovely.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Rubbing salt into raw steak will dry it out.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                The hefty amounts of red wine, brandy (late addition ) and single cream should balance that out.

Just scoffed.

Luuuuuuuurvly.

Comment

What a way to ruin nice meat.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    Not quite true: the salt initially draws moisture out of the steak, but this forms a brine which is then reabsorbed into the meat, having slightly tenderised it. To the extent that any moisture is lost by evaporation, this only helps to concentrate the flavour. For best results, salt your steak at least forty minutes before cooking.

Full details based on actual experimentation from Kenji, as always

Comment

Working...
                    X