• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

renting a flat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

renting a flat

Hi All

I just got turned down for a flat I was trying to rent as they couldn't get a salary figure for me.

v hacked off, as I put a non-returnable deposit on it :x

advise please

you should get that deposit back from them, it's not you who has pulled out of the deal.

Can you offer them a bigger rental deposit as an incentive

and next time just make a salary up, it's not a mortgage application!
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

The deposit's non-returnable even if they don't rent the flat to you?? What a brilliant scam!

Comment

Originally posted by richard101
        Well, if you wanted to call matt on <telephone number redacted> about it - that would be ok

regards

Richard Smith
        So that would be M&M Properties (Lettings) Ltd then. Can I congratulate them on finding a new way to make Estate Agents even more slimy then they usually are.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by richard101 View Post
          Hi All

I just got turned down for a flat I was trying to rent as they couldn't get a salary figure for me.

v hacked off, as I put a non-returnable deposit on it :x

advise please

Have a demonstration with family and friends on Saturday from 9am to 530pm outside their offices with bill boards and hand out leaflets to passers by.

You will have to stick to the pavement and ensure you are off their property.

If they unfortunately have to close for that day then so be it........

I'm sure your deposit is less than a days takings for them.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Most landlords will insist on a credit check, so the chances it's this that has failed. I had a similar situation a few years back because the credit checking company were a bunch of tulipwits who claimed I hadn't filed my accounts at companies house when in actual fact they just didn't know what they were doing.

I put them in contact with my accountant, who managed to sort it out. I also refused to pay the credit checking fee.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Most landlords will insist on a credit check, so the chances it's this that has failed. I had a similar situation a few years back because the credit checking company were a bunch of tulipwits who claimed I hadn't filed my accounts at companies house when in actual fact they just didn't know what they were doing.

I put them in contact with my accountant, who managed to sort it out. I also refused to pay the credit checking fee.
              Hi, indeed I had a credit-check - and it all came back 'accept' except since I've only been contracting (this time around) for 5 months 'accept with guarantor'. (and me been paying mortgage for 21 years - until divorce). Crazy!

Comment

Pay the six months in advance, worked for me....

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                  Pay the six months in advance, worked for me....
                  Yes, or offer a larger deposit e.g. 3 months instead of six weeks. I've done that before.

Can you get a guarantor?
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                    The deposit's non-returnable even if they don't rent the flat to you?? What a brilliant scam!
                    That is standard practice, every place I have rented the initial deposit is non returnable, last place that was £180.

Comment

Working...
                    X