• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vintage bicycles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage bicycles

On Sunday, I cycled down to watch the Benson Vintage Cycle rally.

Joined the rally-ers at their lunch pub stop at Chalgrove, chatted to a few of them and even got a ride on a penny farthing.

Feel like I *really* want a vintage bike (to qualify, it has to be pre-1928)

Quick look on ebay has come up with 2 possibilities (both from same seller)

Vintage lady's bicycle on eBay (end time 10-Jul-11 17:37:11 BST)

Vintage/veteran tandem bicycle, druid forks on eBay (end time 10-Jul-11 19:06:03 BST)

Problem is I know absolutely nothing about old bicycles. Seems to be very little info on the net. Worth the risk?

They don't look very safe. I would expect they weigh a fair bit and have dodgy brakes. Probably best used as a decorative item than actual transport.

You may also need some imperial spanners.
    Last edited by doodab; 4 July 2011, 20:30.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      They don't look very safe. I would expect they weigh a fair bit and have dodgy brakes. Probably best used as a decorative item than actual transport.

You may also need some imperial spanners.
      Yes - pennyfarthing guy said that the idea is, when going down hill, you swing your legs up over the handlebars, so when the thing tips forward, you land on your feet.

Thinking of it as a novelty item - not for serious riding, but quite fun to do some of the vintage rallies - and you get to dress up too.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        Yes - pennyfarthing guy said that the idea is, when going down hill, you swing your legs up over the handlebars, so when the thing tips forward, you land on your feet.

Thinking of it as a novelty item - not for serious riding, but quite fun to do some of the vintage rallies - and you get to dress up too.
        Do you have to ride it side saddle though (as a lady)???
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Do you have to ride it side saddle though (as a lady)???
          A lot of the ladies rode tricycles to allow for their volumous skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            A lot of the ladies rode tricycles to allow for their volumous skirts.
            Nice trick.

What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Doing a 'header':

Comment

Ouch! They weren't half going some though!

Comment

A contractor in my team sometimes commutes into work on his unicycle!

It's a handy little thing, as he can easily pick it up and stow it away under his desk.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    A contractor in my team sometimes commutes into work on his unicycle!

It's a handy little thing, as he can easily pick it up and stow it away under his desk.
                    Ooh - I wonder if there's such a thing as a vintage unicycle?

Comment

Working...
                    X