• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone on here own a hot tub?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone on here own a hot tub?

Just come back from a week away at a cottage in Northumberland which had a hot tub, and found it pleasantly relaxing and I find it hard to chill out at the best of times.

I've been thinking about getting one for a while so has anyone on here got one, and can offer any advice on buying and running one?

I beleive, apart from the initial cost of buying one, they cost around £40 - £50 month to maintain (electricity etc)

Thanks

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Just come back from a week away at a cottage in Northumberland which had a hot tub, and found it pleasantly relaxing and I find it hard to chill out at the best of times.

I've been thinking about getting one for a while so has anyone on here got one, and can offer any advice on buying and running one?

I beleive, apart from the initial cost of buying one, they cost around £40 - £50 month to maintain (electricity etc)

Thanks
    I don't have one, but my folks do, and so do my cousin and her hubby.

The best advice, would be to find a little used 2nd hand one. They don't really wear out, but the price difference is huge. My cousin paid £1500 for a full on, permanent installation hot tub, which was a snip of the retail price of about £8000. It cost them a further £600 to have it professionally installed.

My folks one costs about £70 a month to maintain, but gets used nearly every day (it's a wonder they don't shrivel up to be honest).

Costs include:

Electricity
    Water (obviously)
    Filters and UV cleaning lamp thingys
    PH balance sticks
    Chlorine Granules

Oh, and you need to check the chlorine every day that you use the tub - if it needs more, you have to wait a couple of hours after putting the solution in, to be able to use the tub.

That said - they're awesome - especially in the winter, when the outside can be arctic cold, whilst you're in the garden snuggly and warm - most surreal.

Whatever you do DON'T buy one of these inflatable ones - no matter what anyone says, they're just NOT the same!!

TAV
    "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
    SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

The neigbours across the road where I used to live had one in their back garden. They were extroverts though and didn't mind their neighbours seeing them frolicking in it.

I'm waiting for one of these:

Hot Tub Time Machine (2010) - IMDb
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        The neigbours across the road where I used to live had one in their back garden. They were extroverts though and didn't mind their neighbours seeing them frolicking in it.

I'm waiting for one of these:

Hot Tub Time Machine (2010) - IMDb
        Absolutely brilliant film. The moment where the kid goes to rugby tackle the bloke banging his mum, only to disappear into oblivion because of the interruption, which then necessitates said fellow to finish the job to bring back his mate..... Gennnnnnnnius
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
          Absolutely brilliant film. The moment where the kid goes to rugby tackle the bloke banging his mum, only to disappear into oblivion because of the interruption, which then necessitates said fellow to finish the job to bring back his mate..... Gennnnnnnnius
          Have you seen "The Butterfly Effect"? Absolutely brilliant (and not the rubbishy sequels).
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I've got a pond, does that count?
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Aren't hot tubs hugely tacky?

I really don't get them - isn't a bath easier?
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Get a Spa membership instead.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

Ah, but if you put 'I have my own hot tub' on your dating site profile, you're likely to get even stranger replies
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

Along with a tin of baked bins you probably get the same effect
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X