• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do You Dress To Impress?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Dress To Impress?

On another forum I frequent the talk got round to IT Contractors and Interviews, and I was surprised at the apprant number of people who don't make an effort to be smart and presentable for an interview?!

I know we are being hired on our knowledge rathar than anything else, but I wouldn't dream of going to an interview without been clean shaven, having polished shoes and in a smart suit WITH tie
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Always better to over dress than underdress.

Saying that when I've done projects that are mainly home based when I've met up with other contractors on the projects, we have all been wearing business attire even if we are just working amongst ourselves.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      On another forum I frequent the talk got round to IT Contractors and Interviews, and I was surprised at the apprant number of people who don't make an effort to be smart and presentable for an interview?!

I know we are being hired on our knowledge rathar than anything else, but I wouldn't dream of going to an interview without been clean shaven, having polished shoes and in a smart suit WITH tie
      WSMS
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Anything that makes the competition look bad gets my vote. They can go as scruffy as they like!
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Suited and booted every time
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Until you know what's expected it's shiny shoes and a whistle.

Anything else screams "Can't be arsed"

Comment

Normally look scruffier than Compo but even I would dress proper for an interview.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Depends on the kind of work you do.

For banking and insurance, and stuffed shirt type areas like that, yes dress up.

But for trendy web companies or games companies, where the CEO and most staff are probably about 16, and most likely don't even own any leather shoes or ties, a starched shirt and tie is the kiss of death, especially if you're a bit older. It intimidates them, or at least makes them wonder (not unreasonably) if you'll fit in.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Depends on the kind of work you do.

For banking and insurance, and stuffed shirt type areas like that, yes dress up.

But for trendy web companies or games companies, where the CEO and most staff are probably about 16, and most likely don't even own any leather shoes or ties, a starched shirt and tie is the kiss of death, especially if you're a bit older. It intimidates them, or at least makes them wonder (not unreasonably) if you'll fit in.
                  Are there any places like that left that didn't go "pop" with the bubble?
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Normally look scruffier than Compo but even I would dress proper for an interview.
                    WXS. But I don't dress too smart for the NHS or the business side will be suspicious.

Comment

Working...
                    X