• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loudspeakers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loudspeakers

Walking through Bristol the other day. White van pulls up, bloke gets out and asks me if I want a pair of speakers.

Had a look and they were huge f-off numbers so I said yes. Went to cashpoint and gave him 100 quid.

Left stranded at side of road with 2 giant speakers. Had to get 2 taxis to transport them. Cost another 40 quid. Still a bargain though.

Just remember to do the paperwork for them....

Comment

sounded familiar

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      Walking through Bristol the other day. White van pulls up, bloke gets out and asks me if I want a pair of speakers.

Had a look and they were huge f-off numbers so I said yes. Went to cashpoint and gave him 100 quid.

Left stranded at side of road with 2 giant speakers. Had to get 2 taxis to transport them. Cost another 40 quid. Still a bargain though.
      White van speaker scam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thought I'd heard of that before......

Comment

They also look good with a nice wet leatherette covering on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dodd View Post

Good find. If it is too good to be true....

This just proves that if you have dodgy goods to sell there are mugs to buy it.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            Good find. If it is too good to be true....

This just proves that if you have dodgy goods to sell there are mugs to buy it.
            I'm actually very happy with my purchase. They sound good and they look good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dodd View Post

£140? A bargain? You've been HAD chap.
              Have a scout around at what you CAN get for £140 - I bet you anything in that realm, will sound better than the cheap imitation you've just bought!
              "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
              SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

I've had two recent bad experiences with load speakers. Well quiet speakers in this case as they were both headphones.

I sometimes watch TV using headphones (for the sound part), and I had some cheap earphones on a 1m cable for the purpose, joined to two other 1m cables bought for £1 from the Pound shop. This arrangement sort of worked, but the volume was a bit low and the connections were unreliable, so I decided to remove the connections. I cut a connector out and soldered together the two ends, which resulted in a marked improvement in sound reproduction. But later decided to excise the remaining connector, but this time I had 3 wires instead of two to contend with for some reason, and after trying all combinations of connecting 2 wires to 3 (all different colours) several times over, none produced a sound. Strange, maybe I burnt something out? Binned it.

And the other problem was with my other headphones. After snagging the cable with my foot, which I often do, one ear speaker stopped working. Ah, this is just a simple matter of soldering the wire that I discovered had been torn off then? Nope, soldered it back on and it steadfastly remained as dead as a door nail. I've protected the remaining earphone with some string, so that the string snags rather than the cable.

Comment

Oi TimberWolf!

Wireless headphones!!!

I said WIRELESS HEADPHONES!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X