• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK nuclear support fades after Japan quake

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK nuclear support fades after Japan quake

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/u...cle3084535.ece

Down with those nasty nuclear thingy reactors!

Public support for new nuclear power stations has dipped below 50 per cent in the wake of radiation leaks in Japan, according to a poll that comes days before the Government is due to publish a plan to fund a new generation of reactors.
    The proportion of people who say they support building new reactors to replace old ones as they are phased out has fallen to 47 per cent, down from 52 per cent last year. Support for new reactors had been consistently above 50 per cent in annual polls conducted since 2008.
    The proportion opposing new plants rose from 24 per cent last year to 28 per cent and the number undecided fell from 19 to 18 per cent.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/u...cle3084535.ece

Down with those nasty nuclear thingy reactors!
    Madness, nuclear power generation is the only safe, clean and cheap way to go.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Couldn't agree more.

The only alternatives are coal and chavs in my view!
      Beer
      is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

As last two chaps said.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Safe. The probability of an accident is less than a fossil fuelled power station, granted. When a accident does happen you don't get the land back for the next 50 years. What makes that risk acceptable? Because we save a few pounds?

Clean? What is clean about radioactive waste?

Cheap? No it's not. If we all went nuclear and nothing else prices would still go up.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Safe. The probability of an accident is less than a fossil fuelled power station, granted. When a accident does happen you don't get the land back for the next 50 years. What makes that risk acceptable? Because we save a few pounds?

Cheap? No it's not. If we all went nuclear and nothing else prices would still go up.
            We had this debate with atw the last time. I dug out the last major study on costs, it actually not that expensive over the life of the plant.

New reactor designs make the amount of waste generated minimal. Pretty soon well be able to send it into the sun quite reliably.

Safety is all about risk management, I'm pretty comfortable with it.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Ever heard of research or do you just read newspapers?
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Couldn't we just harness the power of EO's arse the morning after a night of beer and curry?
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  Couldn't we just harness the power of EO's arse the morning after a night of beer and curry?
                  Is there a turbine big enough to take it
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

What would be the effect of a major accident at a coal fired power station? Would you be able to build houses and schools on the land afterwards?

And hydro-electric means you lose the land straight away.

Fukushima was hit by one of the biggest earthquakes on record, followed by a huge tsunami that devastated cities and killed 20,000 people, which in disaster stakes is as bad as it gets. And what happened? Nobody died, in fact none of the workers and certainly none of the public received any significant amount of radiation other than the two workers who had some minor burns from contaminated water.

Even when the tulipe hits the fan on that scale, nobody is killed or seriously injured. Can any other major industrial processes claim to be that safe? It's crazy that people are more scared of nuclear power after Fukushima; they should be reassured by what happened.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X