• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this the end for the News of the World

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the end for the News of the World

BBC News - Claims News of the World 'hacked 7/7 family phones'

It just gets worse. After discovering that NOW journalists had read and deleted voicemails from Milly Dowlers phone, that the parents of the Soham children had been contacted, not it appears that parents of those killed in the 7/7 attacks also had their phones tapped.

So this is only going to get worse?

Rupert Murdoch is going to have to take ultimate responsiblity, or are a number of fall guys to fall under the train.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

It just gets worse. After discovering that NOW journalists had read and deleted voicemails from Milly Dowlers phone, that the parents of the Soham children had been contacted, not it appears that parents of those killed in the 7/7 attacks also had their phones tapped.

Rupert Murdoch is going to have to take ultimate responsiblity, or are a number of fall guys to fall under the train.
    I think I can hear the strains of an independent enquiry/judicial review/whitewash marching in the direction of this fiasco.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I think much worse will come out, and the NOTW/Times etc will lose 90% of it's readership/advertisers. Sky will also lose a lot of subscribers allowing Virgin Media/BBC to bid for premiership football and take it back. NI will then go into administration and all the Murdochs will be selling the big issue and the world will be OK again.

The End

Comment

The Mail on Sunday will include Nuts magazine as a colour supplement and will hoover up all the dross in to their readership.

House prices, Assylum seekers and Boobies, what more could they ask for?

Comment

The red tops stopped being proper newspapers long ago. Is it really news what people in the public eye are up to as it seems that is the most important stuff going on according to these papers. Cheryl Cole, Katie Price, etc are really front page news?

A mate of mine is a journalist at a regional paper and we sometimes have this discussion after a few beers. I've told him the only proper journalism these days that's not just reporting major events is investigative work, uncovering the real stories behind the lies. But that takes too much effort when you can just follow 'celebrities' around to see what they get up to.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Did anyone else watch Newsnight last night?

The ex-NOTW journalist they had on put his foot right in it. Paxman asking if he thought the NOTW editor knew about the hacking, the journo saying "oh definately, everyone knows she knows", then Paxman saying "she denies it", then the journo saying "that's an interesting position to take".

Probably the most honest interview I've heard in a long while. No wonder they got rid of him for the second half of the discussion. Maybe it was the comment about how phone hacking* is no big deal, everyone does it, and maybe Paxman's girlfriend has hacked his phone to check if he's having an affair.

* hacking in this sense seems to mean picking up someone's phone and checking their messages, though the NOTW hacking is electronically hacking into phones remotely. Slightly different and certainly more sinister.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

It is hacking of a sort. They get someone's phone number, phone them up pretending to be a wrong number, and while that's happening they get someone else to phone the same number. It goes through to voicemail and because most people leave the pin as default (probably 1111 or 1234) they can log in and check the messages remotely.

It makes me wonder how interesting other people's voicemail messages are. Mine are usually drunken nonsense from friends at 4am

Comment

Mine are usually pimps on a fishing trip having been sent to voicemail due to calling me on a withheld number, which I never answer unless I'm expecting an important call.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Mine are usually pimps on a fishing trip having been sent to voicemail due to calling me on a withheld number, which I never answer unless I'm expecting an important call.
                  WHS.

Comment

Every time I hear these stories I think of my last cricket captain, who's surname is Hacking. I've known him for twenty years.

To paint a picture, he's a good bat, strawberry blond, and although he is not very big he has a large todger. This weapon became the club champion todger after opening batsman Mr Spinelli left (who was also a small man in other respects).

Comment

Working...
                    X