• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Silverstone sold out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silverstone sold out

"We anticipate nearly 90,000 people on Friday, over 100,000 on Saturday, and a record crowd of over 120,000 on race day.
    RACE DAY A SELL-OUT AT SILVERSTONE | Sporting Life - F1 News | Live lap-by-lap, British GP, Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton

You'd have thought a track a few kilometres in circumference (5 say) would accommodate more than 120,000 spectators I've still never been. Presumably traffic is a nightmare.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    "We anticipate nearly 90,000 people on Friday, over 100,000 on Saturday, and a record crowd of over 120,000 on race day.
    RACE DAY A SELL-OUT AT SILVERSTONE | Sporting Life - F1 News | Live lap-by-lap, British GP, Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton

You'd have thought a track a few kilometres in circumference (5 say) would accommodate more than 120,000 spectators I've still never been. Presumably traffic is a nightmare.
    Nightmare doesn't quite do it justice.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Went about 15 years ago, I think it took about 3 hours to get out of the car park...
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
        Went about 15 years ago, I think it took about 3 hours to get out of the car park...
        and another week just to get onto the a43

A lot of the decent tickets were sold out very early.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Presumably traffic is a nightmare.
          Any event at Silverstone is a nightmare, whether spectating or taking part on track days. Never been stupid enough to pay the £££ for the British GP weekend, but imagine it will be chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
            Any event at Silverstone is a nightmare, whether spectating or taking part on track days. Never been stupid enough to pay the £££ for the British GP weekend, but imagine it will be chaos.
            There's only a couple of roads which go anywhere near the circuit - as you can imagine, getting 120,000 people in and out of them is an absolute nightmare. We used to camp on the Friday night, and the Saturday night, and then sleep in the queue on the Sunday night to get a decent spot on race day. It was worth it back then, but I've not been since 2002.

These days I prefer sportscar racing (le-mans, ALMS, LMS, etc) - and can do a week in Le-Mans, for about the same as a couple of days at the Silverstone GP.
            "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Back in the late 80s and 90s I used to go on the final practice day, which was pretty busy. Took about an hour to get out.

But in those days people staggered their departures because there were races going on after the F1 guys had done. I don't know if that's the same today.

Comment

I've only ever been to Silverstone to watch the BTCC in the supertourer days. Found it a pretty boring circuit, too flat so could only see one or two corners unless in the complex which was slow.

Brands Hatch and Donington (Craner Curves end) were the best for spectator views, if you exclude the grid girls.

Prefer watching both BTCC and F1 on the telly these days.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

BTCC not like it was in the early 90's.
                  John Cleland, Tim Harvey, Steve Soper (man he was good) etc.

Loved watching it back then.

But yes, getting out of the circuit after the race was an absolute nightmare.

Comment

I am going on Friday practice. Would it be easier to get the train rather than take the car, although there is free parking(somewhere)?

Also any idea on what time I should get to the circuit in the morning bearing in mind first practice is at 9am?

Comment

Working...
                    X