• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension Contributions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension Contributions

I want to setup Pension contributions direct from the corp account. I have been given this advice from my accountant:

"Although the guidance is not set in stone on this, it would appear that HMRC will accept the contributions
    are for the purpose of trade, if the overall remuneration package of the employee/director is reasonable.
    This means that the salary and pension package as a whole should be considered and provided this does
    not cause the company to make a tax loss in any given year, the contributions should qualify for tax relief;
    this also assumes that contributions are not ‘excessive’."

Anyone got any idea of what excessive is. I pay myself £12k per year in Salary and want to pay £1000/month contributions. Is that classed as excessive?

In my opinion, I don't think so. Your company can contribute up to £50,000 in this tax year.

Comment

MyCo contributes a £1000 a month into my SIPP for me and has done for the last ~5 years. It is a great way to IR35 proof that money too.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Not excessive

Sounds fine. To be sure your pension payments are wholly and exclusively for business you might also want to set up some board minutes that explains your overall salary package (in that your package also includes for £1000/mth pension payments). To get your pension contributions wrapped up formally like this will just give you a little extra certainly.

For a single Director company, you are most likely on safe ground.
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Thanks all, good advice

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            I want to setup Pension contributions direct from the corp account. I have been given this advice from my accountant:

"Although the guidance is not set in stone on this, it would appear that HMRC will accept the contributions
            are for the purpose of trade, if the overall remuneration package of the employee/director is reasonable.
            This means that the salary and pension package as a whole should be considered and provided this does
            not cause the company to make a tax loss in any given year, the contributions should qualify for tax relief;
            this also assumes that contributions are not ‘excessive’."

Anyone got any idea of what excessive is. I pay myself £12k per year in Salary and want to pay £1000/month contributions. Is that classed as excessive?
            I too pay salary of 12k , and am currently putting away £1500 per month into my pension. There have been no questions over the few years I have been running this.

I understand that the limit has recently been reduced to 50k per annum, I think it was approx 250k.

IMHO £1k per month is easily acceptable.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I always thought there was no advantage to getting company to pay your pension contribs?

Either way you dont pay tax on it? Or am I wrong?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                I always thought there was no advantage to getting company to pay your pension contribs?

Either way you dont pay tax on it? Or am I wrong?
                There's no tax but if you pay it personally, it comes out of tax income.

Comment

I think there's 0.5% difference between the two - negligible, I believe you can only pay personal contributions up to your annual salary, which I may want to increase in the future. i also like the comfort of receiving a small basic salary each month, regardless of how much work is coming in

Comment

I always thought that there was some sort of extra relief for a company to pay it? Or is it just that they won't be paying Corp Tax on the amount as it wouldn't be counted towards profits?
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X