• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Nice Surprise From HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Nice Surprise From HMRC

Just got back from holiday to find 2 brown envelopes from HMRC.

The first of these tells me that they've worked out that that I haven't paid enough tax in previous years and have calculated that I owe them £2100 which is to be paid immediately.

The second, dated approx 2 weeks after the first, is threatening legal action unless I pay up immediately.

Oh well, time to drop my trousers and bend over I guess

Pay now pay quickly and Silvia from HMRC will send you your free t-shirt.

If you don't pay quickly you'll be getting a phone call from her boss:

Last edited by scooterscot; 6 July 2011, 21:41.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post

The first of these tells me that they've worked out that that I haven't paid enough tax in previous years and have calculated that I owe them £2100 which is to be paid immediately.

The second, dated approx 2 weeks after the first, is threatening legal action unless I pay up immediately.

Unless you can leave the country first!
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post

Bummer mate, but on the plus side if they are hassling you it means they are leaving someone else alone, so thanks for taking one for the team good buddy
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

There was something in the news recently about a tax blunder that meant 3 million would get a rebate and a million would have to bend over. I thought at the time it was a new form of money printing, like in Germany after the war when everyone got 50 Deutsche Mark.

The Revenue estimates between 1.7 and 3.5 million people will receive a rebate of on average £340, but 1.2 million will find they still owe an average of £500.
          New HMRC blunder: Writes to 4.7m people to correct tax mistakes - IFAonline

Comment

Originally posted by Pork Belly

Comment

I got a brown envelope too, telling me that I had to pay £2655 before the end of the month.

I was pleased because I had put away £2834 in my tax readiness account.

Then I realised that it was a payment on account, and that they would probably come for the extra 169 sometime in the future.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                Unless you can leave the country first!
                Would you really leave the country over £2100?

Comment

I suggest you check the figures are correct by going through your paperwork for the years mentioned and talking to your accountant asap.

As TimberWolf said they have got loads of people's tax wrong.

There are loads of news stories all over the net about it and even Watchdog has reported it - BBC - Watchdog: HMRC... the taxman cometh!

I have a mate who is currently in a fight with them as they have got her tax figures wrong and the staff are being as unhelpful as possible. She apparently owes them £125 but they owe her something like £2,000.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

i had to cough up 6k last month for errors found in a spot check of the accounts of 08. think there's a fine coming too.

Comment

Working...
                    X