• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anachronistic Embarrassment, or Cultural Display?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anachronistic Embarrassment, or Cultural Display?

Unionist parades

The majority of parades in Northern Ireland (nearly 70% in 2003/4) are organised by Protestant or unionist groups, and thus some sections of the community have tended to see attempts to restrict parades as an attack on Protestant or unionist culture. Parades by these sections of the community typically take place on Saturdays. This means that participants and spectators do not have to take time off work, and avoid parading on Sunday, which some Protestants believe should only be spent on purely religious activities. The only exceptions to this are the 12th of July, which is held on the same date each year, (unless the 12th falls on a Sunday, in which case it is postponed to Monday the 13th) and church parades, which are held on Sunday.

Orange Walk

The Orange Institution holds hundreds of parades throughout Northern Ireland every year.The biggest of these are usually on the twelfth of July ('The Twelfth'), in commemoration of the Battle of the Boyne. Individual lodges also parade at various times of the year, particularly leading up to the Twelfth from the start of June. Parades in memory of the dead of World War I, particularly the 36th (Ulster) Division at the Battle of the Somme are held in July and November. Junior lodges from Armagh, South Tyrone and Fermanagh parade annually at the end of May. On the last Saturday in October, Reformation Day is celebrated with the year's last major Orange parades. In Belfast, these proceed to Saint Anne's Cathedral for a church service.

Apprentice Boys

The Apprentice Boys of Derry exist in commemoration of the Siege of Derry in the seventeenth century. The Boys' biggest celebration is on the Saturday nearest the 12th of August each year, in commemoration of the lifting of the siege. They also parade on the Saturday nearest 18 December, in commemoration of the original apprentice boys shutting the gates of the town against King James II's troops, and at Easter. Most Apprentice Boys' parades are held in the city of Derry.

Royal Black Institution

The main parade of the Royal Black Institution is held on the last Saturday of August and is known as Last or Black Saturday. This was originally held on the 12th of August in commemoration of the end of the Siege of Derry, but in the 1950s the date of the event was moved. Local parades are held in Belfast in the two weeks beforehand. Its other major event is the 'sham fight' at Scarva on the 13th of July, in which an actor playing William of Orange ritually defeats an actor playing James II, thus re-enacting the victory of the Williamite forces at the Battle of the Boyne.

If every City/Town/Village across the UK were to hold parades celebrating every skirmish that has occurred since the 17th Century, the whole place would be permanently gridlocked.
    What warped part of Protestant/Unionist mentality exists that prolongs this desperate, and frankly quite puerile and pathetic, need for triumphalism?
    Insecurity on a massive scale it appears. Would the French countenance the Marching through Paris of former members of the Wehrmacht to celebrate the Blitzkrieg of 1940, or would the Germans allow the Russians to parade through Berlin with banners flying and drums beating to commemorate the winning of WWII?
    Most people can move on and leave ancient rivalries and differences behind them, even in a couple of generations.
    What is so different in the minds of the Loyalist community in NI? Not enough chlorine in the gene pool if you ask me!!

Discuss..........or ignore as applicable.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

I have to agree, and while these displays are allowed to continue, true peace and reconciliation will remain elusive.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
      I have to agree, and while these displays are allowed to continue, true peace and reconciliation will remain elusive.
      WHS.

Ban the lot, including Whitsuntide.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        If every City/Town/Village across the UK were to hold parades celebrating every skirmish that has occurred since the 17th Century, the whole place would be permanently gridlocked.
        What warped part of Protestant/Unionist mentality exists that prolongs this desperate, and frankly quite puerile and pathetic, need for triumphalism?
        Insecurity on a massive scale it appears. Would the French countenance the Marching through Paris of former members of the Wehrmacht to celebrate the Blitzkrieg of 1940, or would the Germans allow the Russians to parade through Berlin with banners flying and drums beating to commemorate the winning of WWII?
        Most people can move on and leave ancient rivalries and differences behind them, even in a couple of generations.
        What is so different in the minds of the Loyalist community in NI? Not enough chlorine in the gene pool if you ask me!!

Oh where to begin!

The examples you gave about the Germans marching through Paris, Or the Russians marching through German is not valid as these are UK Citizens marching through UK towns.

The thing is these marches are now becoming more prevalent outside the traditional Unionist world, is the recent Armed Forces Day marches not a show of pride and celebration in a similar way?

(I supposed I should add the disclaimer that several of my family we/are high ranking members of the Orange & Black institutes, and that I myself have marched on the 12th)
        Last edited by SimonMac; 7 July 2011, 09:54.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
          WHS

And it will remain elusive because they are all so God damn biggoted that they can't see past the ends of their nose.

Also I'd mention that I've seen Orange Order parades in Liverpool too.... Liverpool WTF is that all about?
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            WHS

And it will remain elusive because they are all so God damn biggoted that they can't see past the ends of their nose.

Also I'd mention that I've seen Orange Order parades in Liverpool too.... Liverpool WTF is that all about?
            There are marchers where ever there are larger Orange Lodges, some even as far as Canada and Australia!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hey Shauny, don't forget the Foresters, or the Hibernians, or the Bloody Sunday or the Easter Uprising Marches/Parades.

Ban the lot and then there may just be a way forward.

That said increasing employment might help too.

Oh well, not my problem, at least I get a day off work next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                WHS

It was great. with me mum being Orange and me dad being Green, I used to march just so I could throw stones at meself, and call meself an Orange cnt

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Oh where to begin!

The examples you gave about the Germans marching through Paris, Or the Russians marching through German is not valid as these are UK Citizens marching through UK towns.
                  Good point! So how about the frenchmen in the Agincourt and Maginot Orders marching to celebrate... oh wait.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Come on Shaun, surely you must agree that it is old and it is beautiful and it's colours they are fine......
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X