• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dullard cretin a***wipe f****** moron b***end git

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dullard cretin a***wipe f****** moron b***end git

A client of mine wants to write a product for resale and has approached me to help.

It's a kind of workflow system, and workflow is one of my specialities. The alarm bells should have been ringing when they asked me how long it would take to develop.

Errrrrrr, we haven't spec'd it up yet.

So after a scoping meeting we identified :

The workflow designer was the hard part, and would need a proof of concept.
    They needed to identify their target market, do some market research and put some figures together.

Tomorrow is the next meeting. I rang to confirm.

I have the POC all done, slide show all prepared.

They have not kept up their end of the bargain.

And worse still, the email response said they are looking forward to receiving my "proposal".

Are they just being thick, canny, awkward or all three?

So I just spent a week doing a POC to try and secure a contract to design, spec and build this system. Even after writing up the minutes of the meeting, and explaining in detail the next steps they still expect a proposal, spec and fixed price bid.

Screw 'em.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Just quote them a huge amount and take their money. They can always say no.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

A client of mine wants to write a product for resale and has approached me to help.
      I knew it was going to end badly after the first sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Bog off dull custacean.

Comment

Hey SY, Are you doing work without a signed contract.

Invoice them for the POC prior to the presentation, and wait for the cash before presenting.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Bog off dull custacean.
          Is that like a crab but filled with Yellow Vanilla Sauce.
          Last edited by Scrag Meister; 7 July 2011, 12:56.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Think yourself lucky - I got to the subject, and thought someone was calling me....
            "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

It's a kind of workflow system, and workflow is one of my specialities. The alarm bells should have been ringing when they asked me how long it would take to develop.
              They sound like those imbeciles who think that just because a web site is easy to use it must be trivial to develop.

Along the lines of "I have this great money-spinning idea; but I need your help designing and building a time machine to realise it."
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Sounds like they've just pumped you for a bit of free consultancy.

Comment

Originally posted by landl View Post
                  Sounds like they've just pumped you for a bit of free consultancy.
                  I think you are right.

Suity - don't give them any details or quote them a price for delivering the POC and nail anything else down via (expensive) change requests. It works for bob.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    I think you are right.

Suity - don't give them any details or quote them a price for delivering the POC and nail anything else down via (expensive) change requests. It works for bob.
                    I downed tools immediately. I will present tomorrow morning as planned and then depart.
                    They know where to find me and unless their first words are "please sign the 6 month contract" I shan't be interested.

Off now to pick up SY03 from school.

My left ball aches. It might be client co doing this.

Comment

Working...
                    X