• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY Thread: Drilling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Thread: Drilling

It's been a while since we had a DIY thread so here goes.

Whilst trying to install a curtain rail, when I drilled the holes with a (hammer) drill all went well until I hit, I presume, solid brick which the masonry drill bit I was using failed to penetrate.

Is there another stronger type of drill bit I should use?

I have some titanium coated hss drill bits - would they do the trick?

I wonder if the window has a steel lintel above it, rather than a concrete one - that may account for a masonry drill bit getting nowhere.

How far in did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      It's been a while since we had a DIY thread so here goes.

Whilst trying to install a curtain rail, when I drilled the holes with a (hammer) drill all went well until I hit, I presume, solid brick which the masonry drill bit I was using failed to penetrate.

Is there another stronger type of drill bit I should use?

I have some titanium coated hss drill bits - would they do the trick?
      Without wishing to sound patronising, was hammer switched on?

And you weren't trying to drill into an RSJ were you?
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

No more than a couple of cm which was extremely easy - probably the plaster layer.

The room is an upstairs bedroom - if that makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          Without wishing to sound patronising, was hammer switched on?

And you weren't trying to drill into an RSJ were you?
          Not sure on either counts.

Although, I'm sure if I was trying to drill into an RSJ, I would have been alerted by the sound of metal on metal.

House is c1930's.

Comment

Easy way to tell what you're hitting it put the drill back in without hammer function, pull trigger push hard and release trigger. Pull out the drill slowly and on the tip/head of the drill bit will be the shards/remains of what you're hitting in the hole. Either red/brown/black brick dust or scratch marks and shards of steel from scratching an RSJ.

It could be possible as previously suggested you're hitting a metal RSJ, it could be possible you're hitting a concrete lintle. However it sounds like you've just hit a really hard brick. Ive come across them before, ones harder than concrete. Take it gently and slowly so you dont knacker each drill bit, takes longer, but you'll eventually get to the depth you need ...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              A.K.A. an engineering brick.

They tend to be bluer than yer common or garden house brick.

I recall chasing out an engineering brick for a double socket.

It took years.

Or felt as if it did.
              Yes, I started typing before your previous post showed up. I knew it had a proper name

As you said, the last one I went through was a blueish black colour, hard as nails. Shattered a standard drill bit, so had to get a strong steel bit and go really slowly. Took ages to munch through it.

Comment

I doubts there would be any special bricks around a window top, engineering brick or the like. They're usually used lower down in the foot of the structure. Probability is you've hit a steel CatNic lintel above the window. If the house is less than c. 15 years old, then it will probably be a metal lintel.

Comment

If you are hitting concrete or a hard brick and the drill will let you, you could try using a lower rotational speed.

You could try using a smaller bit and then enlarging the hole afterwards.

You can also try breaking whatever it is up with a hammer & nail. That should give you more force than the hammer action in the drill.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Thanks for the tips - will take another look at this tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                    X