• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How far would you travel on a daily basis for a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far would you travel on a daily basis for a contract?

Currently live just under two hours on the train from London. Often wondered if push came to shove whether it'd be doable for a decent contract on a daily basis. Although this doesn't take into account travel once I get to London.

A season ticket on the train certainly costs less than a hotel in London for 4 nights.

Probably have to catch train at 6.30am if not earlier and probably wouldnt get home till 7-30pm. Kip on train I guess a bit and generally chill.

Just wondered if anyone did this sort of journey and whether they a) found it ok and got used to it or b) completely did their chunk in.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

I thought about doing Crewe to Euston (then on to Old Street) daily but passed on it. Not sustainable for more than a few day/weeks was my thinking.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

It's not a daily commute. I used to go the other way occasionally where the trains were less crowded. Unless it's within an hour or so it's best to do a few days away in a hotel and then work from home the rest of the time.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        It's not a daily commute. I used to go the other way occasionally where the trains were less crowded. Unless it's within an hour or so it's best to do a few days away in a hotel and then work from home the rest of the time.
        More than an hour is not a sensible commute especially as the longer the commute the more likely it is something will go wrong on the root.

Personally I would hit Spareroom.co.uk and see if you can find somewhere you fancy spending a few nights a week.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm currently doing the shortest commute possible from where I live and that's roughly an hour and a half. Forty five mins by ferry and the same again by car. You can sleep away the first 45 mins though
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

The thing is, everyone is different.

At the moment, there is no way I'd consider a 2 hour commute from where I live.

Now, I've never been in the position to HAVE to do that kind of commute, so maybe it'd be different if I had to, needs must and all that.

It's a lot of time out of your day and travelling is tiring, so you need to weigh that up against being away from family and cost of staying away.

Only you can say whether you could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              I'm currently doing the shortest commute possible from where I live and that's roughly an hour and a half. Forty five mins by ferry and the same again by car. You can sleep away the first 45 mins though
              Sheep-shearing rates must have taken an upturn then, eh TM?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

It's doable, but not for an extended period. 6 months tops and you'll be knackered and sick of it.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

For me it depends on the contract an my situation. If I had been on the bench for 3 months + and warchest disappearing then would seriously consider it. If it is a great opportunity/new technology etc then again I would consider it. Saying that I haven't had a single contract in the last 4 years that was under an hour and a half on a clear day. All have been flexible with time so I can miss rush hour spots and all had a reasonable WFH policy so 1.5 hrs is pretty standard nowadays.

One thing that does hack me off is buggering about with buses, trams, train etc. Would much rather do long commute in the car than doing public transport.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Sheep-shearing rates must have taken an upturn then, eh TM?

First time you've ever accused me of shearing one Shaun. Unless your spell checker is f***ed.

When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X