• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deflation news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deflation news

BBC News - British Gas increases gas and electricity bills

British Gas, owned by Centrica, is putting up its domestic gas and electricity prices from 18 August.

Gas bills will rise by an average of 18% and electricity bills by an average of 16%,.

The change will affect nine million households with the average dual fuel customer paying an extra £190 a year.

Sir Lord Merv said yesterday there is no inflation, it's all in our minds, and kept base rate at bugger all for the 100th month in a row. Can I send him my utility bills this winter?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sir Lord Merv said yesterday there is no inflation, it's all in our minds, and kept base rate at bugger all for the 100th month in a row.
    Leave him alone. He knows what he is about!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

BBC News - British Gas increases gas and electricity bills

British Gas, owned by Centrica, is putting up its domestic gas and electricity prices from 18 August.

Gas bills will rise by an average of 18% and electricity bills by an average of 16%,.

The change will affect nine million households with the average dual fuel customer paying an extra £190 a year.

Sir Lord Merv said yesterday there is no inflation, it's all in our minds, and kept base rate at bugger all for the 100th month in a row. Can I send him my utility bills this winter?

There is inflation but its due to currency depreciation that interest rates raises could stop. Increasing them would merely encourage people to spend even less and that won't help anyone.

The problem is that our entire economy was based on people spending 140% of their income thanks to credit cards and stupid government expenditure. Its going to take a very long time before the economy reflects the money we can really spend.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Not with BG, but increases bound to occur across the board.

Wondering if you can pay in advance - e.g. pay £1000 now to get the fuel at today's price. Remember doing that years ago when they first introduced VAT on gas.

Comment

I hope they're paying their fair share of tax..
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Merv only cares about wage inflation. The higher the better for the other ones.

When was the last time we had high inflation and low or negative wage inflation?

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Leave him alone. He knows what he is about!!

About 5%, but due to start falling in a couple of years.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

At some point people are going to realise there are alternatives to being plugged into the gas and electric grid scam.

Maybe one day they will also realise you can burn soil if it has enough organic matter content (e.g. peat).

Anyone want to invent a device that tests soil for burnability? I'm too lazy to be a billionaire.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  At some point people are going to realise there are alternatives to being plugged into the gas and electric grid scam.

Maybe one day they will also realise you can burn soil if it has enough organic matter content (e.g. peat).

Anyone want to invent a device that tests soil for burnability? I'm too lazy to be a billionaire.
                  They can also pop into the local woods:

Forest of Dean circa 2020

Comment

Yep. I expect there will be laws along soon to stop people picking up dead wood from forests, chopping down trees, or digging up suitable earth. All in the name of climate control, though really to keep us all paying 'the man' for our own resources.

There will be people quietly harvesting their own fuel and collecting their own rain water, allowing them to be as off-grid as possible.

Is it easier to follow them or just keep paying the bills?
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X