• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop carrying pain!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop carrying pain!

Hi guys,

This is a bit of a general question. Have just started an assignment where I have to bring my laptop in each day and there is no storage units to store my laptop. I have been here a week and am in a lot of pain already! My laptop is way too heavy. (I'm quite small too)

Does anyone know if there are safe and secure lockers in the City of London area? Did a search but no luck.

Many thanks

How heavy is your laptop?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

How are you carrying it?
      Is it just off one shoulder? If you are it might be better to get a decent rucksack
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Would a kensington lock not suffice?

Comment

Get one of those things on wheels with the pull out handle like all the hip city slickers have.

When you say 'my' is it YOURS or is the laptop allocated to you by the client. No way in hell would I lock up a client laptop anywhere but my house.

These look pretty smart..

Last edited by northernladuk; 8 July 2011, 12:50.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's 3kg then when you add in a charger, notebook.. it gets heavy. I wouldn't mind but it's now causing me considerable pain.

The problem is, we dont have perm desks so I can't use a kensington lock. People do have cabinets but apparantly there is a 48 person waiting list, i.e. 48 people have to leave before I get one, and even then due to being a contractor when I tried to apply it didn't recognise my ID...!

Comment

It's mine... and I am now cursing my husband for making me buy the heaviest laptop he could find just cos it was 'cool'.

Good call NL - may have to get one. Annoying for tube journeys though.

Have been wearing it in a IBM rucksack mainly on one shoulder but then starting wearing it on both...!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                How are you carrying it?
                Is it just off one shoulder? If you are it might be better to get a decent rucksack
                I'll second the idea of a rucksack.

Go for one which is big enough to put the kind of shopping you do on the way home as well, otherwise you are back to square one.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMani View Post
                  It's 3kg then when you add in a charger, notebook.. it gets heavy. I wouldn't mind but it's now causing me considerable pain.

The problem is, we dont have perm desks so I can't use a kensington lock. People do have cabinets but apparantly there is a 48 person waiting list, i.e. 48 people have to leave before I get one, and even then due to being a contractor when I tried to apply it didn't recognise my ID...!
                  You mean, it's hot desking and first come first served?

Surely they can assign you a desk when you explain the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMani View Post

Can you not ask one of the colleagues who has a cabinet, to lock up your laptop in it. I am sure, there would be someone who has some space left. Or do you need to carry it back to home everyday?

Comment

Working...
                    X