• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Only?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Only?

Hello All,
    I signed-up to this site after seeing 'Contractor' but before noticing the 'IT' bit :-) All the stuff about regulations / expenses / IR35 etc is really useful, no matter what job you actually do.

Is the site only for IT types?. I'm a Technical Author, but of the 'Engineering' variety rather than Software. We are all 'IT-savvy', but as users rather than programmers etc.

Ho hum...still stuck in a place called Whitehaven, and still waiting for the happy days to return at Sellafield before the whole county goes into its final death spiral. Think very long and hard before you come here :-)

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
    Hello All,
    I signed-up to this site after seeing 'Contractor' but before noticing the 'IT' bit :-) All the stuff about regulations / expenses / IR35 etc is really useful, no matter what job you actually do.

Is the site only for IT types?. I'm a Technical Author, but of the 'Engineering' variety rather than Software. We are all 'IT-savvy', but as users rather than programmers etc.

Ho hum...still stuck in a place called Whitehaven, and still waiting for the happy days to return at Sellafield before the whole county goes into its final death spiral. Think very long and hard before you come here :-)
    Welcome - primarily IT although some of our fellow members are engineering focussed. Have a scan through the posts - there is something for everyone !

Comment

Many of the questions are about how to run a LTD company, regulations, rules, accountacy etc all of which will be pertinent to most one man band LTD so if you are in this situation then still very useful information.

The Whitehaven bit...well no one can help you with that one
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks.
        True...nobody can help you in Whitehaven.

For 25 years I listened to people when they said "Work contracts at Sellafield, but never move to W Cumbria, because it's a one-employer area. If you get sacked you stay sacked".

After 26 years, moved to W Cumbria. Duh.... :-)

Comment

We do have a variety on here.

At least one marine engineer, another who does something involving oilrigs and risk management, a smattering of accountants and the odd (very odd in some cases) recruitment agent. But yes, it's mostly IT people.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

There's at least 2 tech writers here, I hope that helps.

Comment

Splendid, I thought it was just me.

Nobody at the job centre even knows what a Technical Author is, and don't mention the word 'author' when you insure your car - say 'engineer' instead or they lump you in with Salman Rushdie and add a nought to the premium :-)

Comment

Sellafield Update

According to this week's 'Whitehaven News' (where there are a total of twelve jobs and two self-employed 'opportunities' advertised down at the bottom of Page 36) response has been pretty good to Sellafield's recent recruitment 'drive' for mainly trainee process staff.
                80 jobs were advertised, and so far just under seven thousand people have applied, and rising!
                Do the maths for yourself.
                Sellafield says: "It's a remarkable response and indicates clearly how Sellafield remains a very attractive place to work"
                Ermmmm... :-)

Comment

Cumbria / Sellafield Etc

By the way, I didn't notice that I had to actually tick a box to let the system send me personal messages. I've ticked it now.
                  Since the last 'contractor cull', I have been a bit out of the loop for a while at Sellafield itself, but I'm still in contact with some of the local agencies and still live nearby. The rumour mill is turning again, albeit slowly. If you need any info about W.Cumbria, I'll try and dig it out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
                    According to this week's 'Whitehaven News' (where there are a total of twelve jobs and two self-employed 'opportunities' advertised down at the bottom of Page 36) response has been pretty good to Sellafield's recent recruitment 'drive' for mainly trainee process staff.
                    80 jobs were advertised, and so far just under seven thousand people have applied, and rising!
                    Do the maths for yourself.
                    Sellafield says: "It's a remarkable response and indicates clearly how Sellafield remains a very attractive place to work"
                    Ermmmm... :-)
                    Is that 6956 with the same last name and 44 southerners?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X