• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this the UK's watergate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the UK's watergate?

Hackinggate? This was one of the headlines discussed on the beeb breakfast this morning. As far as smear campaigns go, one that smears the PM is very interesting indeed.

Also, Rebbekah Ginger-Bushhead has been told what has been reported so far is the tip of the iceberg. The opposition are currently salivating.

I have to confess I found Cameron's words refreshingly honest, and seeing as the previous 3 PMs had strong contacts with News International I cannot see how Cameron would have known any different. To say after the fact he should have cut ties is not really fair, hind sight and all that.

I think Cameron's only crime is one of naivety.

So, is this the next watergate?

Edit : Anyone know how this story broke in the first place? Who was the leak?
    Last edited by suityou01; 9 July 2011, 08:11.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Hackinggate? This was one of the headlines discussed on the beeb breakfast this morning. As far as smear campaigns go, one that smears the PM is very interesting indeed.

Also, Rebbekah Ginger-Bushhead has been told what has been reported so far is the tip of the iceberg. The opposition are currently salivating.

I have to confess I found Cameron's words refreshingly honest, and seeing as the previous 3 PMs had strong contacts with News International I cannot see how Cameron would have known any different. To say after the fact he should have cut ties is not really fair, hind sight and all that.

I think Cameron's only crime is one of naivety.

So, is this the next watergate?

Edit : Anyone know how this story broke in the first place? Who was the leak?
    I was under the impression that the Guardian broke the story on the News Of the World through a proper piece of investigative journalism. Very rare for one paper to take on another.

I don't read the Guardian, but they were instrumental in Wikileaks and it's beginning to sound like they're the only 'proper' newspaper in the land.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I was under the impression that the Guardian broke the story on the News Of the World through a proper piece of investigative journalism. Very rare for one paper to take on another.

I don't read the Guardian, but they were instrumental in Wikileaks and it's beginning to sound like they're the only 'proper' newspaper in the land.
      The Guardian do seem to have retained their journalistic integrity. I don't entirely subscribe to their politics but at least they have something they stand up for whereas most of the others seem to blow in the wind.

I like the Independent & FT from time to time as well, it gives a bit of balance.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Not just The Grauniad but, specifically, journalist Nick Davies.

He's been doing brilliant work for many years: his 1998 book Dark Heart, based on work done for The Grauniad, is still well worth a read, as is 2008's Flat Earth News, and he was the one who worked on the WikiLeaks stuff until Julian Assange had a hissy fit and stomped off.

EDIT: cracking piece in the Torygraph by Peter Oborne:

Murdoch used his power to immense effect, undermining and attacking our greatest public institutions – above all the monarchy and the judiciary. His employees believed they were above the law and could act with impunity. And this was indeed the case, thanks to the connivance of police, politicians and the press.

But now – brought down almost single-handedly by the brilliant Guardian campaigning journalist Nick Davies – Rupert Murdoch’s web is unravelling. The media tycoon is fighting for his survival, and as his empire is rocked the reputation of his political client base is collapsing, too.

Most devastating is the damage done to David Cameron. I can reveal exactly how Cameron was, against his better judgment, drawn into Murdoch’s inner circle – thus building a range of associations that have brought disgrace to 10 Downing Street, the British government and Mr Cameron himself.

Last edited by NickFitz; 9 July 2011, 12:09.

Comment

http://www.hasrebekahbrooksbeensackedyet.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I read this link initially as "Has Rebekah Brooks been hacked yet" :

It needs putting up there as well. Go to it monkey man.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
            X