• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hired car scam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hired car scam

Need some advice on where to go for advice.....

Got this hired car last weekend from Girona airport in Spain to get to family apartment in Perpignan area of France.

Booked through this lot, who assure a car from a Leading Supplier.

http://www.carhire3000.com/

Note the actual hire firm who assure new cars:

http://en.aurigacrown.com/

Leading suppliers do not loan out cars with over 90K km's on, oil leak around the engine area, and plenty of scratches and bashes. (It was the previous Ford Fiesta, so a rather old car).

Clutch was riding high when drove away, but no other car available.

Clutch died in France, left stranded 7 miles from apartment on a dual carriageway roundabout.

Breakdown recovered the car and we got a taxi to the airport in the morning through the breakdown company.

Now, not only are the car hire company (Auriga Crown - hardly a 'leading supplier') refusing to refund the 400 euros deposit and fuel pre-payment, they have taken another grand and a half or so with two additional charges to my credit card.

The contract, like all other car rental contracts does indeed state they can help themselves, but, given a breakdown is clearly not my fault, and even if it was, a clutch is only a couple of hundred, to take 1500 quid is rather wrong.

Other than raising with my rather decent credit card company, any ideas on where I could go for legal advice?

I have contacted the agent I got the car through, but, other than standard emails, had nothing from them despite raising on 3rd July.

Have meanwhile put a stop on my credit card as worried about any more random charges!
    Last edited by Wilmslow; 9 July 2011, 20:10.

What are they trying to charge you for? It's their car, clutch etc so hardly your problem.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      What are they trying to charge you for? It's their car, clutch etc so hardly your problem.
      Exactly - they have just made an additional 2 payments to the refundable deposit already taken without stating what or why.

Credit card have put a dispute marker on the payments, so not paying interest until sorted, they are also happy to discuss with the company, and to re-claim the money back if they cannot be satisfied what the charges are for.

I highly recommend Nationwide.

Comment

Do a search of the Guardian's Consumer Affairs section as I have seen car hire complaints featured there in the last few months.

You never know, your rental firm may be one of the ones mentioned. If not, why not drop them a line with your woes.

Comment

don't know if this article is of any help.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            don't know if this article is of any help.
            Yes, saw that thanks. Not any use, as the only complaints there are just of the whingy variety.

My case is clear cut credit card fraud.

The car was riddled with panel damage and scratches, the bumber was not secured correctly, but now noticed that not all are noted on the contract form (as there are too many damages to get correctly logged!!)

Have emailed the car company requesting a full breakdown, but just one of those web-page insert here kind of forms, so not holding any hope.

All I can do I think is try to forget about it, and post all evidence and info off to my credit card company I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              Yes, saw that thanks. Not any use, as the only complaints there are just of the whingy variety.

My case is clear cut credit card fraud.

The car was riddled with panel damage and scratches, the bumber was not secured correctly, but now noticed that not all are noted on the contract form (as there are too many damages to get correctly logged!!)

Have emailed the car company requesting a full breakdown, but just one of those web-page insert here kind of forms, so not holding any hope.

All I can do I think is try to forget about it, and post all evidence and info off to my credit card company I think.
              Persist and see of you can get hold of a manager, if not try and see if there is a consumer advice bureau that you can lodge a complaint with.

Also write to them and send via recorded delivery, e-mails can be ignored, but if they have signed for a letter....

Carhire 3000 have had lots of complaints against them.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                They'll say your driving (ie. 1st gear all the way) caused the clutch to burn out.

I am incredibly anal when it comes to hiring a car. I go round every nook and cranny of it. Marking out every piece of damage / scratch on the condition sheet, plus taking photos. A car I hired in Spain earlier in the year they just threw me the key and said see you later.

I made them go over every part of the car and I even drew up my own conditions sheet with a picture of a car, highlighted it and made them sign it. Like all things in life, assume the glass is half full and cover your ass accordingly. Plus, put a hold on the card and put the charges into dispute.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Is this a scenario (a beaten up tulipbox from a lesser known vendor) where the additional damage waiver fee would cover mechanical breakdown and any 'additional scratches' they found?

In this situation I think photos and confirming the liabilities in writing before accepting a shed is pertinant advice. As usual, it's a little too late!
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    Is this a scenario (a beaten up tulipbox from a lesser known vendor) where the additional damage waiver fee would cover mechanical breakdown and any 'additional scratches' they found?

In this situation I think photos and confirming the liabilities in writing before accepting a shed is pertinant advice. As usual, it's a little too late!
                    You cannot offer advice before the fact after the fact? Unless. Anyone have a time machine???
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X