• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bike Panniers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Panniers

I've just got my bike panniers out of the roof. To be fair, I haven't used panniers on a bike for 10 years as I have always used a back pack, but recently because I have to cycle with a laptop as well as my clothes it's been causing me some back pain, so the doc said, use panniers.

Now the problem is, I cannot remember how to fit them. I've got two pannier bags and a new bike, with no mudguard. I cannot rememebr, but I'm fairly sure I attached the panniers to the mudguard on the bike from 10 years back or I had to get some kind of additional rail or otherwise I just had to attach the bags(which I cannot see will work without some kind of solid rail).

Anyone know anything about panniers?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

You needed a doctor to tell you that? No wonder the NHS is on its knees.

Comment

Don't you need a horizontal metal rack, over the rear wheel, attached at one end to the frame below the seat and at the other end, via a pair of struts, to the rear axles?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Halfords | Bike Panniers & Pannier Racks | Buy a Pannier Rack | Bike Pannier

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I've just got my bike panniers out of the roof. To be fair, I haven't used panniers on a bike for 10 years as I have always used a back pack, but recently because I have to cycle with a laptop as well as my clothes it's been causing me some back pain, so the doc said, use panniers.

Now the problem is, I cannot remember how to fit them. I've got two pannier bags and a new bike, with no mudguard. I cannot rememebr, but I'm fairly sure I attached the panniers to the mudguard on the bike from 10 years back or I had to get some kind of additional rail or otherwise I just had to attach the bags(which I cannot see will work without some kind of solid rail).

Anyone know anything about panniers?
          I think you need an old woman and a donkey if I remember from my old Haynes manual.

Ah yes, here it is:

Just need to find an old woman now MF
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
            I think you need an old woman and a donkey if I remember from my old Haynes manual.

Ah yes, here it is:

Just need to find an old woman now MF
            Thanks for that. I already have the panniers. If you and Mrs HyperD could pop over later I can cross the other two off
            the list.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Thanks for that. I already have the panniers. If you and the ex-Mrs HyperD could pop over later I can cross the other two off
              the list.
              Trust me, you're better off with hyperD "that'll do" donkey!
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post

I think you need an old woman and a donkey if I remember from my old Haynes manual. ..
                I wouldn't put it past them. After all Haynes, have done Apollo 11, the Space Shuttle, and even RMS Titanic "owners' manuals".

(I have those and others as ebooks.)
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If it;s a new bike it may not actually have the mounting points for a pannier rack. A lot of the Road bikes sold these days don't have them unless they are sold as touring bikes.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    If it;s a new bike it may not actually have the mounting points for a pannier rack. A lot of the Road bikes sold these days don't have them unless they are sold as touring bikes.
                    You can get seatpost mounted racks too - depending on how the panniers attach. Look at the topeak range.

Comment

Working...
                    X