• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

web forms jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

web forms jobs

Hi,

I am nearing the completion of a job involving webforms, c#, mysql, xml services, and looking on various jobsites, I notice there's not much demand for these skills.

Have I wasted 6 months or is there life after this job?

Regards,

Ahmad

The mysql is the weak link in the chain. There are firms that use MySql but they aren't the well-established ones that will be advertising on sites. You'll need to hunt them out. If you've got or can get any experience in Oracle, SQL Server, even Access, that will be more use.

Also if by webforms you mean near enough ASP.NET, that's the term that agents will be more familiar with.

c# is a mass market thing so no worries there; XML likewise. XML Web Services a little bit less mass-market but definitely a good and popular thing to have.

Comment

Agreed, mysql is certainly something you won't find teamed up with .NET/MS that much in the market place.

Nine times out of ten most companies that use .NET will be set up to use most likely SQL Server (or Oracle) as the DB.

Comment

Trouble is by now most companies will look for 3.5 years + of .Net.... preferably from a C++ or Java background and an MCSD.

Still worth trying but you need at least 2 years + commercial .Net experience (and no agent will recognise Web Forms - they will just ignore your CV).
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Hi,

I've got stacks of experience (eg SQLSever, Oracle, Access and the debunked j++), but I've only recently jumped on the asp.net bandwagon.

I specifically mentioned webforms because I recently went for an interview and discoverd the guys were developing asp/html using Visual Studio.Net instead of moving onto asp.net. When I searched for webforms jobs, the jobscene seemed somewhat sparse.

Regards,

Ahmad

Comment

I thought all the jobs were in this? Certainly seems that way.

As Mr Lizard says I think you're just using the wrong terminology. You have to jump on the buzzwords - i.e. .NET. Don't confuse facts with marketing.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
            X