• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NOW - Ding Ding - Round Two.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOW - Ding Ding - Round Two.

Beautifully vitriolic article by Trevor Kavanagh by the Sun. Looks like News International isn;t going to take this completely lying down and appears to be lining up it Ed Milliband, The BBC and The Guardian in it's sites for assassination. Let the Media wars start.

Death of a great paper is a real tragedy

By TREVOR KAVANAGH

"THANK You & Goodbye." This is the poignant headline that brought a lump to the throat and a gaping hole in the lives of millions.
    The News of the World, a truly great newspaper with a 168-year record for jaw-dropping exclusives, died of self-inflicted wounds.
    It was a tragedy for journalism - and an open goal for our commercial rivals. In the dog-eat-dog world of newspapers, this was as much about their survival as our sister paper's.

BBC ... vengeful and spiteful

"The Screws", which week after glorious week left them all trailing in its wake, was always the paper to beat.

We also offered a priceless opening to Ed Miliband, a weak leader who seized his chance to turn on a newspaper group that supported his party through most of its 13 years in power.
    Politics is about opportunism, and if he can't squeeze capital out of this catastrophe at David Cameron's expense, then he's no politician at all.
    What is thoroughly contemptible, though, is the posturing, high-minded and politically prejudiced BBC. This media monster, which blows £2.3BILLION a year in public money, is bound by charter to be impartial and is anything but.
    Its gleeful, vengeful and downright spiteful coverage of events over recent days is a disgrace.
    Not for nothing is the BBC known as the Blatantly Biased Corporation.
    Don't get me wrong. Nobody can justify or condone the crimes committed by former News of the World staff. They deserve the coverage they have received. Indeed, we are warned by our chief executive Rebekah Brooks that worse is to come.
    I don't know what these revelations will turn out to be. Nor does the BBC. But judging by the Corporation's bloodcurdling reports and commentaries, they must surely involve mass murder, rape and torture.
    Nothing other than a declaration of war would justify its round-the-clock analysis, interviews and breaking news on every radio, TV and internet outlet.
    All other news - and there was a lot of it around last week - was relegated to "fillers" between breathless, screeching "updates" from correspondents.
    The feeding frenzy was led each morning by Radio 4's increasingly hysterical Today programme. John Humphrys introduced an eye-popping chat about "media barons" in the scary voice pantomime villains use to frighten children. Chippy Justin Webb gave Rupert Murdoch's accusers free rein while constantly interrupting any voice raised in his defence.
    Fellow Leftie Jim Naughtie made himself utterly ridiculous by describing our proprietor as "the most evil man in the world".
    Saturation coverage swamped Question Time and Any Questions?. I almost burst out laughing as panellist Steve Richards, another Leftie, claimed that the BBC - unlike Grub Street - was barred from using comment in news coverage.
    The BBC's tone - driven by its fear of competition from Sky TV - is not so much "comment" as a giant raspberry in the face of impartiality.

News International is big enough and ugly enough to look after itself. Nobody would claim it is a shrinking violet in the media jungle. But, after nearly 40 years on his payroll, I believe Rupert Murdoch has been a tremendous force for good in the media world.

Tens of thousands of journalists who have nothing to do with NI owe their jobs to him.
    Many newspapers published in Britain today would have perished but for Wapping - including, perhaps, the high-minded and sanctimonious Guardian. And millions benefit from Rupert Murdoch's audacious creation of Sky TV - now at the heart of his enemies' campaign against him.
    He was fought every inch of the way by The Guardian, which somehow sees itself as custodian of the sacred journalistic flame.
    It is a small circulation paper whose readers mostly work in the taxpayer-funded public sector. But its Left-wing views are amplified out of all proportion by the BBC who, with breathtaking arrogance, portray themselves as the Voice of Britain.
    So, mass immigration was a GOOD thing, not to be discussed in front of their furious viewers.
    The European Union was a BLESSING - until, predictably, it began to collapse in flames.
    This column might seem like the work of a Murdoch mouthpiece. But you don't have to listen to me.
    Try veteran BBC presenter Michael Buerk, who lambasts the Corporation as institutionally biased.
    "The Guardian is their bible and political correctness their creed," he says.
    Or former news anchor Peter Sissons, who blasts his ex-employer as a propaganda weapon for climate extremism, gay rights and political correctness.
    So fierce has the criticism grown that director general Mark Thompson last year publicly admitted that the BBC is "massively" biased.
    Tragically, nothing can bring back the News of the World.
    But we should examine closely the motives of those who brought it to its knees.

What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Apart from the obligatory tldr, I can now see the strategy in closing NOTW. They're saving all the scandal stories for the launch of their 'new improved' rag.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Murdoch will have his revenge, what they did was wrong but it is getting blown out of proportion now.

Comment

Cameron was a bit of a tit really but Labour are prize hypocrites moaning about spying when they sanctioned an army of council bin police to check up on your waste disposal habits with early morning raids on your wheelie bin.

This is going to come down to 'better the devil you know' for most people and as much as I hate Murdoch I would rather be on his side than the 160 billion per year deficit mob

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Cameron was a bit of a tit really but Labour are prize hypocrites moaning about spying when they sanctioned an army of council bin police to check up on your waste disposal habits with early morning raids on your wheelie bin.

This is going to come down to 'better the devil you know' for most people and as much as I hate Murdoch I would rather be on his side than the 160 billion per year deficit mob
          What is interesting is that I don't think anyone in parliament has realised that Murdoch will simply shut all the papers if it is the only way to buy BSkyB.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Murdoch will have his revenge, what they did was wrong but it is getting blown out of proportion now.
            I don't think it is being blown out of proportion. It's systematic, corporate sanctioned spying not just on celebs but on politicians and the royals, and bribery of police officers over a period of years. If Coulson or Ms Brooks or James Murdoch knew about it they should go to prison. If they didn't know then they shouldn't be running the company or any other company as they are clearly incompetent to do so, so I don't see any way you can trust them to run BskyB either.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I don't think it is being blown out of proportion. It's systematic, corporate sanctioned spying not just on celebs but on politicians and the royals, and bribery of police officers over a period of years. If Coulson or Ms Brooks or James Murdoch knew about it they should go to prison. If they didn't know then they shouldn't be running the company or any other company as they are clearly incompetent to do so, so I don't see any way you can trust them to run BskyB either.
              The News Of the Screws wasn't the only newspaper guilty of this though.

The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times have now been implicated as well as the other tabloids.

Even local newpapers which are mainly owned by groups which include a national tabloid could be in trouble. Journalists are now coming out with the tricks they used to get stories including paying police....

Oh and while Murdoch can close all the newspapers down it doesn't stop him being guilty under a US Federal Law on corruption.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Deleting the Dowler VMs was a very sick thing to do but compared to the Iraq war excuse it is small fry.

I hate the moral canon wheeled out every year telling us what we should think, it fires off every few months and if you do not get behind it you are thought less off.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Labour allowed councils to empty bins to see what you were putting in them, they started stop and search powers for terrorism after the IRA cease fire and prior to Muslim backed terrorism. At the lowest level of threat from terrorism they introduced the most draconian terrorism laws since internment.

I have never felt troubled over privacy by the papers, Labour have been much more frightening.

Comment

Labour allowed councils to empty bins to see what you were putting in them, they started stop and search powers for terrorism after the IRA cease fire and prior to Muslim backed terrorism. At the lowest level of threat from terrorism they introduced the most draconian terrorism laws since internment.

I have never felt troubled over privacy by the papers, Labour have been much more frightening.
                    I'm not saying the politicians are any less bad, just saying that I don't think the current fuss is disproportionate.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X