• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

183 Day rule in sweden anyone experience this

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

183 Day rule in sweden anyone experience this

Hi all,

just been offered to have my contract renewed in sweden and will be hit buy the 183 day rule

http://www.contractoruk.com/document..._Local_Tax.pdf

Why Sweden and Finland are popular
    A large majority of European countries follow the “economic employer”
    model, meaning that in most countries contractors’ tax must be paid
    locally from day one. The countries currently adhering to the “employer
    of record” model are Sweden and Finland. In these countries only it is
    therefore possible for a contractor employed by a foreign company to be
    exempt from local tax for 183 days. Care should be taken, however, as if
    the contract remains in the country for more than 183 days the tax liability
    will be backdated to day one of the contract.

anyone have experience of this or know how it all works?

i work monday to friday in stockholm. i travel in sunday night and leave friday. i have to assume it means 183 working days.

im thinking of possibly cutting the contract short or worst case scenario setting up another LTD.
    anyone got any ideas how i can get around this?

thanks
    Last edited by digitaldecks; 11 July 2011, 07:16.

Limited

I can only offer some limited comments on this, based on UK experience;
    (1) Count days you were in the country (regardless of whether you worked that day of not), including the day of arrival, and the day of departure;
    (2) The number of days are usually then a matter of fact (ie, you just count them up);
    (3) And if you hit 183 days, your options for remaining outside of the tax net are very limited - in fact, I don't think you have any options;

The only thing I can suggest is looking at how you count the days in Sweden. If you are lucky you may NOT count the day of arrival or departure....but its longshot.
    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

thanks greg.

looks like im buggered.

Comment

Originally posted by digitaldecks View Post
        thanks greg.

looks like im buggered.
        The rules on day counting in Sweden and Finland aren't clear.

The only information I found is that if you are registered - which you are suppose to be if you are there for 3 months or more - then the authorities conclude that you are there all the time.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
        X