• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you change your CV when asked to just to get an interview?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you change your CV when asked to just to get an interview?

Just been asked to change my CV to really highlight the development work I did in my last role. My last role was as a lead business analyst so I wasn't on the tools.

The gig in question sounds ok to me, and does require me to get back on the tools, but with very niche skills that I have and used a little under 2 years ago.

ClientCo and some agencies seem to thank that if you have been off the tools for a bit then this automatically makes you incompetent which is quite frustrating.

I wrote back saying that my CV was an accurate reflection of what I have been up to, and shows a good pedigree with the niche skills they require, and that ClientCo should not need any further embellishment to want to take it to interview stage, and if they do then perhaps I am not right for them.

I just feel that having to put bulltulip on my CV is a stretch too far and would be wasting everyone's time.

I put it to the panel?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

i might occasionally add some keywords for tech which I've used but don't bother putting on my CV. thats about the limit for me though.
    i know some people here see nothing wrong with altering their CV for every role to make sure it fits
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      i might occasionally add some keywords for tech which I've used but don't bother putting on my CV. thats about the limit for me though.
      i know some people here see nothing wrong with altering their CV for every role to make sure it fits
      I see nothing wrong with tailoring a CV for a specific role, provided it is not embellishing.

Saying I was developing when I was not is just lying and I won't do it.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I have multiple CVs. Bit like a pick list.

Category

Developer
        PM
        Manager
        Business Analyst
        Modeller

etc

Coupled with Industry

Technology
        Facilities
        Healthcare
        Manufacturing
        Insurance etc

I have about 30. I then choose the exact one which as closely matches the role. I won't change it again after that as I still need it to be accurate(just needs to highlight the most specific points to the role) and not a Hans Christian affair.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

As others have said I would always tailor my CV based on the job spec or talking to the pimp, if they are looking for a certain technology or product that I have worked on I make sure that stands out
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

'Do you change your CV when asked to just to get an interview?'

Benes Invoicing Machine answers: YES

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Category

Developer
              PM
              Manager
              Business Analyst
              Modeller

etc

Coupled with Industry

Technology
              Facilities
              Healthcare
              Manufacturing
              Insurance etc

I have about 30. I then choose the exact one which as closely matches the role. I won't change it again after that as I still need it to be accurate(just needs to highlight the most specific points to the role) and not a Hans Christian affair.
              I used to have a few, but didn't fancy keeping several up to date, especially not 30.

I have one vanilla CV and just tweak it for each job, and send it with a covering email describing why I'm such a good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                I have worked within recruitment for a while now, currently working for contractjobs.com; The contract only job board. Alot of our registered contractors have multiple CV's that are tweaked to different job specifications. The CV's can be very long as most contractors have worked in varying roles, by having role specific documents they cut the length to 4 to 5 pages rather than 7 to 8!

Comment

I guess agents are just worried about people who may appear to be jack of all trades , and they assume you may be master of none.

So while they do appear to be prepared to put you forward, they are worried this is what it will appear like to the end client.

I'm not sure I'd want to employ a dev who has spent 90% or whatever of his time the last 2 years just doing business analysis.

Or a PM doing the similar percentage dev for the last 2 years.

With the amount of people on the market, there will be plenty of people who have been 100% dev or PM or whatever for the last 2 years.

So I'd say them being prepared to put you forward at all is good going.

So regardless of you being tulip hot at whatever type of role you are going for, and that yes you may be better than 100 other guys put forward despite doing something else for that period, the question mark is there. Why was he doing that instead of this?

Can they be bothered finding out? maybe? can you get past the dumb gatekeeper agent who may have the same questions? maybe...in this case yes.

Now, I am not a master of all trades, I'm just a lowly dev.

Would I highlight some tech that I used only say 10% in my last role. To be honest, yes, whatever gets me the gig.

Dog eat dog, and all that, I'm sure plenty of people do that.
                  Last edited by jmo21; 11 July 2011, 10:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    I used to have a few, but didn't fancy keeping several up to date, especially not 30.

I have one vanilla CV and just tweak it for each job, and send it with a covering email describing why I'm such a good fit.
                    I wouldn't send a covering letter for a contract role, it makes you look too keen.

Well certainly not to agents anyway
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                    X