• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The rate of the rate of the rise in rising inflation is falling!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rate of the rate of the rise in rising inflation is falling!

UK inflation dips unexpectedly in June - Telegraph

Food up, fuel up, utility costs up, insurances up, etc etc

BUT

Toys are cheaper!

I'm off to get Kerplunk and have a game with Lord Mervin, he with the pension linked to RPI not CPI.

Economists also said the data revived the possibility that the Bank might decide to increase its "quantitative easing" programme of buying up government debt in order to pump more cash into the economy, if the recovery falters.
    Oh goodie. so more inflation then!
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      2nd derivative.

That should confuse the crap out of everybody then.

Just put it into everyday terms. Inflation is the speed of a money printing ball thrown into the air, while the second derivative is the acceleration of the money ball. So if a money ball were thrown into the sky fast enough, and even were the acceleration of the money ball negative, the money ball might never come back and would escape the influence of the money printing machine forever and never come back.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Just put it into everyday terms. Inflation is the speed of a money printing ball thrown into the air, while the second derivative is the acceleration of the money ball. So if a money ball were thrown into the sky fast enough, and even were the acceleration of the money ball negative, the money ball might never come back and would escape the influence of the money printing machine forever and never come back.
        So if inflation reaches 25,000mph we're all flipped?

Comment

I'm sorry I cannot be with you this week to take part in all of this gloom, but I have been day trading Yell since last week and have managed to make an extra £12k since Friday to cover any inflation.

Don't let me stop you talking about it though. I'm back off to III.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Sorry buddy, but acceleration is the second derivative of displacement.

The second derivative of velocity is the rate of change of acceleration.

Disclaimer: Not that the original header makes any sesne any how.
            Last edited by conned tractor; 12 July 2011, 12:38.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post

Is the third derivative African or European ?
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                Is the third derivative African or European ?
                Dunno, African? Go on, do tell.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post

position

The original article was referring to a change in the rate of inflation rather than a third derivative.

Comment

position

The original article was referring to a change in the rate of inflation rather than a third derivative.
                    Position is generally referred to as displacement as it is a scalar quantity, but they are the same in this case.

Comment

Working...
                    X