• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone done a Triathalon before?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone done a Triathalon before?

Looking for advice on doing my first Triathalon and wondered whether anyone has done one on here.

From my research, there are 3 types of triathalon, based purely on distance.

1. Olympic - 1500m Swim, followed by 40Km Bike and then 10K run
    2. Sprint - 750m Swim, followed by 20Km Bike and then 5K run
    3. Super Sprint - 400m Swim, followed by 10K Bike and the 2.5K run

I'm in reasonably good shape and was thinking about breaking in gently by doing the Super Sprint one first, which shouldn't take a lot more training than I do at present, and then move on to the Sprint and hopefully the Olympic.

Anyone been involved in one, either as a competitor, partner of competitor etc and can offer any useful advice.

There is one in Cheshire in September which I'm interested in...

Ta

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Looking for advice on doing my first Triathalon and wondered whether anyone has done one on here.

From my research, there are 3 types of triathalon, based purely on distance.

1. Olympic - 1500m Swim, followed by 40Km Bike and then 10K run
    2. Sprint - 750m Swim, followed by 20Km Bike and then 5K run
    3. Super Sprint - 400m Swim, followed by 10K Bike and the 2.5K run

I'm in reasonably good shape and was thinking about breaking in gently by doing the Super Sprint one first, which shouldn't take a lot more training than I do at present, and then move on to the Sprint and hopefully the Olympic.

Anyone been involved in one, either as a competitor, partner of competitor etc and can offer any useful advice.

There is one in Cheshire in September which I'm interested in...

Ta
    I think you are choosing the wisest option. Start with the Super Sprint and work your way up.
    Better not to overdo it on your first attempt, much easier to stretch yourself subsequently.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

My mate asked me to do one with him to raise money for a charity.

When I refused, he pleaded, "C'mon, it's for blind and handicapped kids".

Then i thought, F**k, I could win this............
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

hmm I think we invented cars and boats so we did not need to swim and run and cycle....

Comment

I'm interested in doing one of these as well. Might start with the small one first and work up.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            I think you are choosing the wisest option. Start with the Super Sprint and work your way up.
            Better not to overdo it on your first attempt, much easier to stretch yourself subsequently.
            I've heard it all now. The doddery old fart who who wheezes after a little light gardening presumes to offer advice to us young and fit 'uns.
            Listen grandad, you stick to your daily airing in the garden, try not to kill youself hogging the middle lane at 50 mph on the motorway, and polish your zimmer frame to impress the grannies.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Based on those figures, it seems like mostly a cycling event and hardly any swimming. I might consider it if there were more swimming.

E.g
              Sprint: about 6 minutes swimming, 15 minutes bike, 8 minutes run
              Olympic: 20 mins swim, 1 hour bike, 40 mins run

Flip all swimming involved! And getting less as a proportion of the time as the distances go up.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                My mate asked me to do one with him to raise money for a charity.

When I refused, he pleaded, "C'mon, it's for blind and handicapped kids".

Then i thought, F**k, I could win this............

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  I've heard it all now. The doddery old fart who who wheezes after a little light gardening presumes to offer advice to us young and fit 'uns.
                  Listen grandad, you stick to your daily airing in the garden, try not to kill youself hogging the middle lane at 50 mph on the motorway, and polish your zimmer frame to impress the grannies.
                  sasguru,
                  not all of us needed notes from mummy excusing us PE at school you know.
                  Some of us ex-military types have run marathons and half-marathons in our time, and played a whole range of sports at a very decent level. Certainly the type of activity that would have had you reaching frantically for your inhalers and/or mummy's hand.
                  You know the sort of thing, Golf, Football, Swimming, Tennis, etc.
                  That generally allows us the luxury of knowing what we are talking about. We don't all need to resort to constang tugging in our garden shed to maintain fitness.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    sasguru,
                    not all of us needed notes from mummy excusing us PE at school you know.
                    Some of us ex-military types have run marathons and half-marathons in our time, and played a whole range of sports at a very decent level. Certainly the type of activity that would have had you reaching frantically for your inhalers and/or mummy's hand.
                    You know the sort of thing, Golf, Football, Swimming, Tennis, etc.
                    That generally allows us the luxury of knowing what we are talking about. We don't all need to resort to constang tugging in our garden shed to maintain fitness.

Listen gramps, I play squash twice a week at a high level and tennis/golf at the weekends.
                    That's presumably why I'm not a lardy git like yourself and have the stamina and strength of a much younger man.
                    I don't suggest you start anything too intense on your heart and lungs, like squash, now though. You'd almost certainly have a cardiac arrest.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X