• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Italy, Spain, Portugal,Greece, Ireland can make billions in one go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Italy, Spain, Portugal,Greece, Ireland can make billions in one go

Sell EU passports.

Ireland; sell Irish passports to the Irish 'diaspora' at 1000 euros a go.

Italy; sell Italian passports to the Italian diaspora at 1000 euros a go.

Portugal; likewise to Brazilians, but you might have to give Mozambiquans a discount.

Greece, OK, not a huge diaspora, but sell them to anyone who'll pay.

Spain; sell them to Latin Americans.

This would bring in some cash in the short term, and it would scare the tulip out of northern Europe to the extent they have to pay you to stop.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

It wouldn't have scared the tulip out of New Labour. Not so sure about Cameron, the spawn of Blair.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Sell EU passports.

Portugal; likewise to Brazilians, but you might have to give Mozambiquans a discount.

Greece, OK, not a huge diaspora, but sell them to anyone who'll pay.

Spain; sell them to Latin Americans.

This would bring in some cash in the short term, and it would scare the tulip out of northern Europe to the extent they have to pay you to stop.
      Northern Europe might not pay them to stop, choosing instead to spend the money on considerably more effective border controls, meaning that those countries selling the passports will have well and truely crapped on their own doorsteps.
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Sell EU passports.

Italy; sell Italian passports to the Italian diaspora at 1000 euros a go. ..
        That's not a bad idea.

Come to think of it, I'd pay that for a genuine Irish or Italian passport. You never know when it might come in handy.

The snag is most of the diaspora are in the US, where I don't think they allow dual nationality, at least not for long.

edit: Oh, actually that doesn't always apply, e.g. link, and the Dual citizenship FAQ
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 14 July 2011, 07:41.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          That's not a bad idea.

Come to think of it, I'd pay that for a genuine Irish or Italian passport. You never know when it might come in handy.

The snag is most of the diaspora are in the US, where I don't think they allow dual nationality, at least not for long.
          You don't need to tell the US or any other government you've got another passport. You just keep it ready for if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
            Northern Europe might not pay them to stop, choosing instead to spend the money on considerably more effective border controls, meaning that those countries selling the passports will have well and truely crapped on their own doorsteps.
            Nope, bad idea. Trade in the Schengen area would be severely hit; all the logistics are now geared to Schengen, with no border controls. If trucks, trains and passengers have to stop at every border, imagine the immense costs to business. Enormous. Imagine the amount of perishable products that will go off in transit. Of course, maybe you could man the borders sufficiently to have no waiting time, but that would be unfeasibly expensive and involve building huge border crossings. I see the reality because I live very near the German border and see just how many cars, trucks and trains cross it every day.

Besides, Europe has land borders; if you really want to get around the customs and passport people, you walk through a field.

Really, the southern Europeans can do the job more cheaply.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              That's not a bad idea.

edit: Oh, actually that doesn't always apply, e.g. link, and the Dual citizenship FAQ
              There's method in my madness. Instead of seeing immigration as a problem, look at it as an opportunity. Be selective, but not too selective. Set up an agreement of free trade with, for example Argentina, with EU passports for a grand a go on presentation of a trade diploma or university degree. You have access to 40 million Spanish speakers, 1.5 million Italian speakers, half a million German speakers, and most of the educated Argentinians speak English as a second language. Uruguay is similar, but the numbers are smaller. They come from a developed country, have good education (better than much of Eastern Europe) and are probably interested in 'circular migration', coming to Europe to study or do business and then return home. Educated Latin Americans are not even going to come here and do 'plenty cheapness' because they can earn nearly as much at home. This could actually work.

Comment

Sell EU passports.

You're laughing but this more or less happened during the fascist regime. Many skilled and rich Italians emigrated abroad and when they made lots of money (Brazil, Argentina, USA and Canada) they thought: F**k off my country and stayed abroad. This would definitely be very stupid on the long term for any country, but if you think who is currently ruling Italy...
                <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

I pay enough taxes tank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                  X