• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Housewarming Party

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housewarming Party

I'm having a housewarming party and none of you are invited.

Now we've got that over with, it's in two weeks time and I've not got a clue what to do for food. We've got to feed around 100 people both in the afternoon and later in the evening. Me and the missus don't want to be tied to the BBQ or cooker all day. We've got lots of veggies coming so a hog roast is not really an option, plus we'd prefer something more upmarket than Iceland platters thank you very much. Any ideas that won't cost me serious dosh?

Lots of +ve rep available for decent suggestions.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Four big bowls;

1. Vegetarian Chilli
    2. Chilli con Carne
    3. Rice (with peas, peppers, etc for colour)
    4. Mixed salad

Natural yoghurt (or soured cream if you prefer)
    Grated cheese
    Big pile of wraps
    Bowl of sliced chillies (to pep things up a bit for the 'more seasoned palette')

People can then either have a straight forward plate of chilli and rice, or make themselves up some wraps (kids like to do this).
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Several pasta dishes is a good option, easy and quick just add different sauces, veg, meats whatever. Cold and hot.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

You don't have to feed them to overflowing. Just get a selection of meats, cheeses, breads, pickles, wraps, salads, pate, seafood (prawns, smoked salmon(hot and cold smoked) etc.

Oh and wine, lots of wine.

Did I mention wine?
        Last edited by Churchill; 14 July 2011, 07:41.

Comment

Erm, surely this is a problem for your caterer, not you?
          Last edited by v8gaz; 14 July 2011, 07:40. Reason: typoos
          World's Best Martini

Comment

Make sure that whatever you DO finally decide upon is stuff you like, and that can possibly be frozen. You may be eating it for weeks to come.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

LH from what I can gather, you've just bought the place and spent a month or so sweating blood and tears doing it up. Now you want to let 100+ people trample your new carpets to death... are you going soft mate?

Oh, and do what Churchy said.

Comment

Whole boned cuts of meat are usually a good idea (ballontine of stuffed chicken, stuffed shoulder of lamb) just slice em up and people can help themselves. Whole poached salmon is also good or terrines.

Cous cous with roast med veg, rice salads or pasta salads can be good for the veggies.

A cheese platter is always an easy pleaser as is pavlova or fuit salad.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Some good suggestions! Thanks!

Oh and Pondy - we've got wooden floors all the way through downstairs that are a few years old so we're not too precious. I am still doing it up by the way!
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Alternatively, get some of cases of wine, beer, cider etc. Hire glasses. (That's your job done!)

Tell each of your male guests to bring a savoury dish, and each of your female guests to bring a sweet dish, each should be for 5 people.

Put tressle tables up under marquee or gazebo, and do bugger all else.
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X