• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Arrested for conspiring to intercept communications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrested for conspiring to intercept communications

Neil Wallis, the former executive director of The News of the World has been arrested on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications.

Isn't that exactly the same thing that the UK Government permits the Americans to do at places in the UK such as Menwith Hill?

Oh right, one rule for those bastards and another for us, eh?

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Neil Wallis, the former executive director of The News of the World has been arrested on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications.

Isn't that exactly the same thing that the UK Government permits the Americans to do at places in the UK such as Menwith Hill?

No it's the same rule for both. It's just that the yanks have permission and so aren't breaking the law.

It sort of came up in a thread about kitchen radios over in technical.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/36/section/48

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

Yep. It doesn't make either practice right, does it? Give me a wave when you get to Guantanamo Bay
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

& wasn't it rude of the News of the World to go round collecting Gordon Brown's personal data before his National Identity Card scheme had had a chance to do it first?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          & wasn't it rude of the News of the World to go round collecting Gordon Brown's personal data before his National Identity Card scheme had had a chance to do it first?
          Yes, I found his hypocrisy staggering...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I was not aware such a law existed, shirley that makes the concept of the internet illegal in the UK. I am going to tracert BBC - Homepage and head down the cop shop with a list of IPs.

I will demand root and branch reform and a redoubling of efforts. waa waa waa, yadda yadda.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              I was not aware such a law existed, shirley that makes the concept of the internet illegal in the UK. I am going to tracert BBC - Homepage and head down the cop shop with a list of IPs.
              I think the new law was the RIPA (2000) Act, so the Internet was around at the time. I think it is based upon consent, so you can snoop as long as you have "permission" of a party involved.

If an ISP inspects packets with the intention of snooping the underlying message, that might fall foul of the act. But inspecting the packet in order to route it - well that's what you (your computer) is asking them to do as per the TCP/IP protocol, so you've "given them permission" to do it.

And don't call me Shirley...

Comment

Working...
              X