• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£15 per 100 miles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£15 per 100 miles

So if HM gov now want £15 of fuel reciepts to cover every hundred miles travelled, that means in my diesel car I would need to produce £75 of receipts every 500 miles, now i get really good mielage and this would only cost me say, around £40 and with a short fall of £35 i have three options. Put in more fuel, for which i cant use for business, dont claim back the full amount owed to me , or get my friends and family to give me their reciepts.

Has anyone any alternative ideas, or work arounds?

Originally posted by Wildybeast
    Upgrade to a gas guzzling Chelsea tractor?

Comment

So if HM gov now want £15 of fuel reciepts to cover every hundred miles travelled, that means in my diesel car I would need to produce £75 of receipts every 500 miles, now i get really good mielage and this would only cost me say, around £40 and with a short fall of £35 i have three options. Put in more fuel, for which i cant use for business, dont claim back the full amount owed to me , or get my friends and family to give me their reciepts.

When did this happen? I know Parasol wanted receipts, but that was only so they could claim the VAT back. I didn't think you needed receipts if you are claiming through a limited. Have they changed the rules?
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Rules changed at the start of the year I think. It's only for the VAT part though, you can still claim the rest as expenses. The thing I was reading about it candidly admitted that the system was open to abuse, and wasn't meant to be exact. For one thing, you could fill up today in one financial year, and claim the mileage on Thursday for the next financial year, so they'd have to allow a little leway for that sort of thing.

I have no such problem in my S2000. I recommend buy one of those.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Doesn't matter if you're flat rate VAT.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

my umbrella company has stated from april 5th i need to start producing reciepts. I work with loads of other contractors whose different umbrella comanies are asking for the same thing.

If this is real forget the 25p/40p a mile because 100miles divided by 15 quid is 15p a mile

Comment

a) receipts
              b) 15p a mile is fuel costs. Surely the tax-man will accept that there are other costs associated with running a motor????
              We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

my umbrella company has stated from april 5th i need to start producing reciepts. I work with loads of other contractors whose different umbrella comanies are asking for the same thing.

If this is real forget the 25p/40p a mile because 100miles divided by 15 quid is 15p a mile

Yet another reason to ditch the umbrella go with your own LTD. That plus getting on the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT and the whole problem goes away.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

VAT re-claim

The rules on re-claiming of the VAT element of mileage allowance claims changed in January. This obviously only applies if you are VAT registered, not on the flat rate scheme and claiming mileage allowance (e.g. 25p/40p per mile).

To now claim the VAT, which is dependent on your car type (petrol, diesal, lpg) and engibne size), you need to provide a VAT receipt to back it up.

I presume the reason the umbrellas are now requesting receipts is so they can carry on claiming the VAT back and adding it to their profits. For e.g. if you've got 2000 contractors and can claim £100 on each it is certainly worth it!

Looks again like Mr Brown is tightening the rules on us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Xtrain
                    Looks again like Mr Brown is tightening the rules on us all.
                    Not quite. I believe this is an EU directive.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X