• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

University degrees that will get your kids a job and those that probably won't

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

University degrees that will get your kids a job and those that probably won't

Medicine, dentistry and veternary science - 99.6pc of graduates found employment (within six months of leaving university in 2010).

Teaching - 95pc.

Subjects allied to medicine - 94.3pc.

Law - 92.7pc.

Agriculture - 91.6pc.

Mass communications - 86pc

Engineering and technology - 87.7pc

Architecture, building - 87.8pc

Creative arts and design - 88.2pc

At the other end of the spectrum, only 84.7pc of graduates with computer science degrees got a job with six months of finishing their degree.

yes but are they getting a job in their respective fields or just flipping burgers?

or to put it another way did the fact they have a degree in a certain field mean they got the job?

if you get my drift

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      yes but are they getting a job in their respective fields or just flipping burgers?

or to put it another way did the fact they have a degree in a certain field mean they got the job?

if you get my drift
      That's a logical step beyond DP can handle what with his CSE in Art.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

if you get my drift
        Apart from the first 2 categories where entry numbers are strictly controlled I expect most of graduates end up working in shops, restaurants, call centres or as receptionists. (When I was a student years ago I worked with graduates in various restaurants and shops with law degrees. )

The reason why the computer science undergraduates are unemployed is probably because they tend to lack interpersonal skills.

Anyway there are other figures around that show that if you get a creative arts degree you may as well not have bothered going to university as it doesn't increase your salary by very much compared to just having A levels.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The reason why the computer science undergraduates are unemployed is probably because they tend to lack interpersonal skills.
          Or could it be that they leave this country and head back to their homelands?

I graduated in 1991 as an audio engineer, and have never since worked in my field!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            At the other end of the spectrum, only 84.7pc of graduates with computer science degrees got a job with six months of finishing their degree.
            It's been that way for about 10 years running.

Comment

There are very few 3 year teaching degrees. Most people go into it via PGCE after doing a wishy washy subject, so I'm not sure that's a valid statistic.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
                Or could it be that they leave this country and head back to their homelands?
                The universities try and chase you up whether you go so it can only be presumed the statistics are only for those who bothered to answer where they went.

I answered for one of my universities but not for the other.

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
                I graduated in 1991 as an audio engineer, and have never since worked in my field!!
                That's a common thing in the UK. It's interesting to find out what degrees the people you are working with, or people you know did. I know former social workers and lots of former teachers.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Medicine, dentistry and veternary science - 99.6pc of graduates found employment (within six months of leaving university in 2010).
                  That's because they are the ones who'd emerged with 6 years of debt instead of 3, and could least afford not to.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    That's because they are the ones who'd emerged with 6 years of debt instead of 3, and could least afford not to.
                    My mates in those professions only studied for 5 years in England.

Likewise I know quite a few people who did 4 year degrees in England.

Comment

Working...
                    X