• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online Bank Accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Bank Accounts

<Rant Mode>

Fook sakes. Have recently set up a number of online accounts for the kids/wife/myself etc. Bloody hell, how complex are they

Two Santander accounts = 3 x Phone Banking Letters + 3 x Online Banking Letters. Then registering online consisted of changing the passwords on both accounts, coupled with memorable question, couple with choosing a fooking image and a code work to go with the image!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Then the Halifax. Fook me. Two simple codes to get in, followed by 5 questions, memorable work, memorable saying and changing the password as well X 2. Then the account as it's for the kids is so fooking complex 2 x Savings, 2 x Normal account.

With the NS&I, I just had to sign it.

AND!!! AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you take a printout to the bank of your 'online' statement they don't take it as proof anyway!!!!! throw:mad
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

1. Don't agree to online statements they are useless. All it does is save the bank money in postage.

2. The security procedures are there so when someone goes into your bank account they can blame you not the corrupt staff member who sold your details in some off-shore location.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Don't open an ING Direct savings account - I can't remember how many levels of security they have At least they are very secure - a 'footprint' is left on customers accounts each time a member of staff access the account. Clever!

Comment

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
        Don't open an ING Direct savings account - I can't remember how many levels of security they have At least they are very secure - a 'footprint' is left on customers accounts each time a member of staff access the account. Clever!
        It's not that bad, account number, 6 digit pin number and memorable date, you have to use their on-line keyboard and can't just type them in.

Much prefer that to cooperative business banking which consisted of a login and password and that was it (and the website fell over at the beginning and end of each month)
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

This is why I keep all my online banking usernames/passwords in a single google spreadsheet that I can access from anywhere.
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Send us the URL - that way we can validate it is accessible from as many places as possible

Comment

Banks always seem pissed off that they have your money.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Two Santander accounts = 3 x Phone Banking Letters + 3 x Online Banking Letters. Then registering online consisted of changing the passwords on both accounts, coupled with memorable question, couple with choosing a fooking image and a code work to go with the image!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
                Don't forget the two separate passwords, one for logging in, one for making / authorising a payment

HSBC have a nice balance. Username, password, 6-digit code from dongle. And now there's an iPhone app too.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  I just had a nightmare trying to sort out a new Santander account, but it wasn't quite the same as that.

My new esaver required 2 phone banking and 2 online letters to be sent out.

Said it'd take 10 days to be sent.
                  Letter 1 of 2 for PB, and 1 of 2 for online arrived after 7 or so days. The 2 second letters did not.

Waited couple of extra days, phoned up, told to wait another week. Nothing more arrives.

Phone again, apologies, more letters sent out.

THis time after 7 or so days, 2 x PB letters arrive, nothing for online.

Phone up this time with PB details, quote PB numbers. Turns out one of the numbers is actually one of the online banking numbers. So cannot transact on account over phone.

Told to go into branch if need a transaction done, and they'll send out more letters.

Finally, all 4 letters arrive and appear to be correct.

total turnaround in the end, nearly 8 weeks from setting up the account.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    I just had a nightmare trying to sort out a new Santander account, but it wasn't quite the same as that.

My new esaver required 2 phone banking and 2 online letters to be sent out.

Said it'd take 10 days to be sent.
                    Letter 1 of 2 for PB, and 1 of 2 for online arrived after 7 or so days. The 2 second letters did not.

Waited couple of extra days, phoned up, told to wait another week. Nothing more arrives.

Phone again, apologies, more letters sent out.

THis time after 7 or so days, 2 x PB letters arrive, nothing for online.

Phone up this time with PB details, quote PB numbers. Turns out one of the numbers is actually one of the online banking numbers. So cannot transact on account over phone.

Told to go into branch if need a transaction done, and they'll send out more letters.

Finally, all 4 letters arrive and appear to be correct.

total turnaround in the end, nearly 8 weeks from setting up the account.
                    Had the same problem with the Santander accounts. Took the best part of 3 months to get all of the codes.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X