• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The naming of SY06

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The naming of SY06

SY02 is driving me nuts with baby names books. I have read two from cover to cover and cannot find anything I like, or isn't taken already by someone we know or their respective offspring.

Q SY02 rattling baby names off like machine gun fire round the clock.

Can the panel come up with something that is not common-ore-garden, is pretty, and is not completely off the wall?

Ta
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    SY02 is driving me nuts with baby names books. I have read two from cover to cover and cannot find anything I like, or isn't taken already by someone we know or their respective offspring.

Can the panel come up with something that is not common-ore-garden, is pretty, and is not completely off the wall?

Ta
    I was out walking in the countryside when I heard an upmarket mum shout 'Come on Jacinta, come on Asia'. 'Yes mummy they replied'

So for you, how about Jordan or Kayleigh.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I was out walking in the countryside when I heard an upmarket mum shout 'Come on Jacinta, come on Asia'. 'Yes mummy they replied'

So for you, how about Jordan or Kayleigh.
      Just because we are chavs doesn't mean that little Henrietta can't escape Luton, shack up with some millionaire and keep me in my dotage.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Ta
        I wanted to call my daughter Phoebe, but wasn't allowed.

When naming the two younger ones, oldest son (aged 7) advised: 5 letters or less so it's easy for them to spell/write, and has to not sound silly when called out in the register. Good advice I think.

Comment

Ta
          I assume you know that it's a girl from that.

My advice would be; don't try to be too 'different', kids are cruel, and love to take the pi$$ out of others for the slightest reason. Oh, and make sure the initials don't spell anything dodgy.

Yours respectfully,

Cyril Ulysses Nathanial Thompson
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Just because we are chavs doesn't mean that little Henrietta can't escape Luton, shack up with some millionaire and keep me in my dotage.
            The Middletons you're not, more likely one of the Gallaghers.

Comment

The important thing is to have a two-syllable name. I agreed a three syllable first name and one syllable second with wife. I don't like any of the contractions of the first, and always intended to use the second, which I like more anyway, but in baby-talk one syllable isn't enough. So now she is called her second name repeated twice.

A common trick to add a syllable is used by members of the England rugby team, they add an affectionate "-y" to the end of names (albeit surnames) as in Catt-y, Back-y, etc.

If you choose a name that has two syllables in the first place you won't have to resort to nicknames or other contortions.

Maybe it's just me that thinks three syllables is to long and one to short.

Comment

You can get a table of thousands of names actually chosen for each year with the number of babies for each from some website, might even be the government/ONS that compile them from birth registrations. I made it my mission to avoid anything in the top 50. Some suprisingly mainstream and not at all old-fashioned names can appear well down the list.

Comment

Try this

Baby Name Genie : Baby Name Generator

Comment

Consider a name that sounds a bit retro and Victorian today, such as Horace or Albert for a son, or Violet or Ethel for a girl.

That way in forty years, when nursing homes are full of Sharons and Traceys, your offspring's name might sound hip and post modern.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X